Third Party Press

Mp 42

Peter U

Staff member
Hello guys,

Recently I added a new Soldbuch to my collection, on the weapons issue page (8a) it seems that he was issued a MP42 in July 1942.
Does someone have more information on the MP42 or am I reading the entry wrong?

Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

• DSC07639.jpg
    DSC07639.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 85
Peter, that's cool. That could very well be an Mkb.42, if so, a rare entry I would imagine:

"The first weapons were issued to front line units on the Eastern front by the mid-1942, and the low-rate mass production began in late 1942. A total of about 10,000 MKb.42(H) were produced for the German Army before its production was ceased in favor of an improved design, the MP-43 / Stg.44."

http://world.guns.ru/assault/de/mkb42-h-e.html

I think it's referring to the maker code 42 myself, but I can't be for sure whether that says MP or not. I think the MP42 was only issued to a specific unit in 42, so that would have to line up for it to be an MkB42. Note he was issued a K98k bayonet at the same time, he would have been issued pouches and magazines too for the Mkb.

Thanks for the input.

Hello Mfarb,

In May '42 he got a set of ammo pouches, the type wasn't specified; together with his MP he also got a MG clean kit.
Did maker code 42 produce MP's?

Cheers,
Peter

I finally had a chance to check Handrich's excellent reference.

A grand total of 116 MKb42(H)s were manufactured in 1942 (apparently excluding the prototypes sent to the Infanterieschule in April) and production didn't begin until November. Troop trials did not begin until April of 1943 when the first 2000 were shipped to HGr Nord.

I would guess this entry is for a 42 dated MP40. Whoever recorded the entry simply confused the date for the manufacture code, maybe an ayf or fxo which have large dates and smaller codes.

I finally had a chance to check Handrich's excellent reference.

A grand total of 116 MKb42(H)s were manufactured in 1942 (apparently excluding the prototypes sent to the Infanterieschule in April) and production didn't begin until November. Troop trials did not begin until April of 1943 when the first 2000 were shipped to HGr Nord.

I would guess this entry is for a 42 dated MP40. Whoever recorded the entry simply confused the date for the manufacture code, maybe an ayf or fxo which have large dates and smaller codes.

Thanks very much RyanE!
:thumbsup:

Peter

A clue might be in the 'pistole' entries. There are two, each showing an "S/42". This was a marking shown on the receiver of certain Mauser produced P.08s, right? It looks like someone might have looked at the receiver ring of the rifle being issued, then seeing and recording the "42" seen there. Just a theory. . .

Military Rifle Journal
Back