PDA

View Full Version : K98k Turret Sniper Repro -- Need Help

Ultimate Shield
08-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi New guy here.
I am trying to put together a Turret Sniper with a zf39 scope and need some help... well actually i need alot of help.:facepalm:

I've heard there's some frowning upon people making replica 98k snipers. I'm going to be building this on a miss match rifle when i find a suitable one. I'm not looking to destroy a Historical piece like a matching rifle and I'm not going to sell this rifle as a real one down the line. This is purely for my personal collection because I love this particular sniper rifle. I'm also looking into doing reenacting and want it for that.

I have a few questions as I would like to remain historically accurate as possible.

What code rifles were used with the Turret Mount rifles?
I have heard BYF but just in passing. I'm not sure how legit that info is

What were the major differences between the Low Turret and the High Turret setups?
Mainly I want to know why they changed from LT's to HT's. Is there any advantage one has over the other? Ive seen 4 screws on the bottom of the front mount on LT's and they are missing on the HT's

Who makes a accurate reproduction sniper butt plate? Ive read about the Iron Elite and the french remakes here. Can anyone tell me where to get one of these?

Thats it for now
Thanks for any and all help.:biggrin1: I'll post pics here as the project progresses

Ultimate Shield
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Anyone? starting to see tumble weeds here, lol

mrfarb
08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
The 2 makers of high turret rifles were JP Sauer and Mauser, so ce and byf rifles. The byf rifles are by far the most common, so if it were me I'd do one of those in high turret.

Nobody that I know of really has a problem with people making repro snipers- I suggest you find an ex-sporter to use, as sometimes they are already drilled and have no more collector value. Make sure you find one that shoots good.

As to buttplates, the 2 mentioned are the best- you can get them from ebay for about 40 bucks (but those aren't as good).

As to the difference between high and low turret, the high turret was an improvement as it had less parts. I think that was the main improvement?

Ultimate Shield
08-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Double Post...

Ultimate Shield
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
The 2 makers of high turret rifles were JP Sauer and Mauser, so ce and byf rifles. The byf rifles are by far the most common, so if it were me I'd do one of those in high turret.

Nobody that I know of really has a problem with people making repro snipers- I suggest you find an ex-sporter to use, as sometimes they are already drilled and have no more collector value. Make sure you find one that shoots good.

As to buttplates, the 2 mentioned are the best- you can get them from ebay for about 40 bucks (but those aren't as good).

As to the difference between high and low turret, the high turret was an improvement as it had less parts. I think that was the main improvement?

Cool! i did a quick search on ebay. there was the usual low quality one and there is now one from Numrich GP corporation that i havent seen before. Do you know how the Numrich plates rate?

mrfarb
08-30-2010, 07:35 AM
I haven't seen the Numrich one, but it does look better than the Interordnance one. Rememeber, you only need a sniper buttplate if you build a late high turret. All low turrets and some early (mid 1944 and earlier) high turrets didn't have these. Thats another reason to build a high turret.

Dave Roberts
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
There are Two major differences in LT & HT one as Mike mentioned less Parts and easier to manufacture do to this .The other would be the LT front base is 1mm lower than the HT Front Base , as far as rear Base almost Identical height is same .

Ultimate Shield
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
thats an interesting change. almost sounds like the scope for the low turret would be on a downward angle compared to the rest of the rifle. So there wasn't any loss of functionality between the two they were just manufactured differently as to ease production. Ive also been doing some reading and it sounds like if I wanted to go for a Low turret rifle I should find a byf rifle dated 43 or sooner and for High turret 43-later. Is that correct?

Dave Roberts
08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes Thats Correct as far as what You need . I am not exactly sure how the 1mm differentiates in the Mount from LT and HT need to check .

Ultimate Shield
11-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Ok, so I think I have a pretty good lead on a nice mismatched byf44 rifle with a real good bore for this project. Should know by the end of the week whether or not I got it.

So now I have kind of a 2 part question. Are there any good Repro ZF39 scopes being made atm? And if so is there anyone making Repro sun shades out there?

As for the High turret mounts I think I'm going to have Robert from K98k.com make me a set. The ones he makes look much more high quality than others I have seen.

Boy this is an expensive but fun project! :thumbsup:

Dana

Ultimate Shield
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
So it looks the the ones on ebay should be avoided. I did read that a company named Cole's Distributing Inc made a decent zf39 repro. Anyone know if this company is still around or if they still make them? I tried to look them up but had no luck.

BSW 1937
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Around which letter block did Mauser Oberndorf switch from LT to HT in 1943, or maybe were they both used during a time?

Dave Roberts
11-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Around which letter block did Mauser Oberndorf switch from LT to HT in 1943, or maybe were they both used during a time?

There was still LT`s being Produced even after the the HT`s were starting to be Produced .
But How long did LT Production Continue I do not know this . Best Regards

BSW 1937
11-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Thank you Dave,

In which letter block did the production of HT begins then, still for Mauser?

Dave Roberts
11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Thank you Dave,

In which letter block did the production of HT begins then, still for Mauser?

I wish I could answer that Question for You , I don`t Know if anyone knows for sure exactly what Ser# Rance HT production started . If someone can please I to would like to know . Best Regards

Ultimate Shield
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Now that Im shopping for a scope, Would a Zeiss Zielvier zf39 scope with a sun shield be correct for a byf 44 c-block high turret rifle?

Dana

Dave Roberts
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Your building a repro so Zeiss 4X could work but the only Zeiss Zielvier that had a Sunshade ever was the Military Contract Zeiss Zielvier blc Coded Scope , Now You could use a Zeiss Zielsechs and that would be an Excellent choice . I happen to know were there are a few for sale as we speak . If You want contact me at DaveR626@comcast.net . Best Reagards.

Ultimate Shield
11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Cool thanks for the info. Well this is pretty much the exact setup I'm wanting to build. I was under the impression they were Zielviers with sun shades but I really have no idea what I'm looking at cause Im so new to k98 snipers.

Dana

Ultimate Shield
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Another scope ide be interested in is this one but i have NO idea what it is.

Ultimate Shield
12-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Also seeing as I'm nearing the point of the mounts and scope being added to the rifle. Does anyone know any good gunsmiths on the east coast that can put this together? Or is this something a lot of people do themselves?

Dana B

Dave Roberts
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Cool thanks for the info. Well this is pretty much the exact setup I'm wanting to build. I was under the impression they were Zielviers with sun shades but I really have no idea what I'm looking at cause Im so new to k98 snipers.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/snpltwth.jpg
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/45f134f2f6aaad3b294d6f1.jpg
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/germansniperkarabiner98k.jpg

Dana
This Scope is a Ziess Zielvier but the way it is with Sunshade is incorrect as I mentioned blc Coded Zeiss Zielvier is only one with Sunshade . The Scope in Last Original Photo is a Three Piece BMJ Scope .

Dave Roberts
12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Another scope ide be interested in is this one but i have NO idea what it is.
Scope in this Photo is a Ajack 4X90 .

Dave Roberts
12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Also seeing as I'm nearing the point of the mounts and scope being added to the rifle. Does anyone know any good gunsmiths on the east coast that can put this together? Or is this something a lot of people do themselves?

Dana B
Hi Dana
I know a Great Smith in Pennsylvania . Contact me

Ultimate Shield
12-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Shot ya an email Dave :happy0180:

Dana

Ultimate Shield
12-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Rifle fell through so still looking for a real nice base rifle

Dana

Ultimate Shield
01-02-2011, 01:52 AM
So now that we're on page 3 I figured its about time to start posting progress photos.:facepalm:

I got a real nice french repro checkered buttplate. I just got finished painting the inside of it. I didn't have any red primer so I made a custom mix with what I had using the inside of another butt plate for reference.
10032 10035
The only issue I have come across with the buttplate is it seems the holes were drilled incorrectly. They look to be something like .080 or .100 high (I don't have my calipers so I'm going by eye) . Sadly this means whatever stock I end up with will need to have the old holes filled and new ones drilled.
That's all for now
Dana

Ultimate Shield
01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Another Update: Got the base rifle in the other day. Its a matching action only. Bore is excellent and bright. Stock is a stand in for now. I'm unsure as to the originality of the sling. It could be a repro made to look original or a genuine one. Im unsure of what to look for in identifying its originality. Now all that's left to locate is an Ajack 4x90 from the HT serial #'s and send it off to Robert in Austria for mounting to a set of his HT mounts.

Dana

Ultimate Shield
05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Took advantage of the opening in the weather today and got to put some rounds down range with the base rifle to see how she shoots. As the stock and bands weren't original to the rifle I used 8x57mauser's tutorial to fix any issues with the stock http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?209030-Tutorial-How-to-restore-accuracy-to-your-Russian-capture.

mto7464
05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Do you reload? Groups look okay but nothing to write home about. You might try some different commercial ammo. Looks like a decent rifle. I would be hesitant on tapping it. K98 sights were never my favorite a scope would help a lot

Ultimate Shield
05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Do you reload? Groups look okay but nothing to write home about. You might try some different commercial ammo. Looks like a decent rifle. I would be hesitant on tapping it. K98 sights were never my favorite a scope would help a lot

Negative on the reloading as of yet. Ive shot S&B through it before and it grouped a little better but they were out of it at the shop so I brought out the 50's yugo instead.

kc-10boom
07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Any updates?

Ultimate Shield
07-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Not much really. I recently was laid off from work so all projects are on pause until I am able to find another job. :yawn:

kc-10boom
07-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Ahh, sorry to hear that. Good luck with getting a new job.

Ultimate Shield
10-10-2012, 09:46 PM
OK!
It's time to get this show on the road!
I originally wanted to use an Ajack 4x90 for my build, but I decided to take Dave's advice and go the cheaper route for a better preforming scope. I may get an Ajack for the rifle later but for now its just too expensive for a first build. So I've picked up a nice Ziess Zielsechs. I'de love to know when she was manufactured if anyone might know. :thumbsup:
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/IMG_1199.jpg

Now all I need to do is get mounts from Robert, Have the mounts on the scope removed and replaced with the HT's (and maybe a reblue to thee scope), and have them attached to the rifle. Well at least the big hurtle of finding a scope is over with.

Dana

vaughn99
10-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Hello,

do you have a closer closeup of the serial???

thanks
vaughn

Ultimate Shield
10-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Sure thing Vaughn!

I actually took a whole new set of photos because for some reason my camera likes natural light a hell of a lot more than indoor light, lol.
Here ya go.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/IMG_1215.jpg

Dana

vaughn99
10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
thanks!!!!!

later
v

PzKpfw_VI
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
What function does the sniper butt plate serve?

agalland
10-19-2012, 08:28 AM
What function does the sniper butt plate serve?

To provide a better grip on the shoulder...less chance of slippage....hence a more accurate shot..

PzKpfw_VI
10-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Is there a different shape to them or is it just the checkering that was shown in a picture earlier in this thread?

Dave Roberts
10-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Only difference is the checkering . Best Regards :thumbsup:

moconfed
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Any updates?

Ultimate Shield
01-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Any updates?

Well it only took me over a year and a half, but I did manage to buy a set of beautiful HT mounts from Robert.
The whole shebang will hopefully be off to Vaughn after the tax return comes in. :thumbsup: Here's a teaser photo of everything test fit

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/IMG_2465_zps6f1a4a74.jpg (http://s896.photobucket.com/user/BobaFettSlave_1/media/IMG_2465_zps6f1a4a74.jpg.html)

mto7464
02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
did you get it done? I assume so.

Ultimate Shield
02-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm actually going to be sending it to Vaughn in a week or so. Last years free cash ended up going into a new vehicle, sadly. I'm also considering getting a new made stock from Fox-military as well

alund
02-21-2015, 10:12 PM
If it shoots well, you will be able to increase the accuracy significantly by loading your own rounds.... unfortunately that is a project itself . However i hand load and went from 3-4 inch groups at 100 with wolf gold to 1 inch groups at same distance handloads. Had the same project done which took about 1 year to make the rifle. couldn't be happier with it.

agalland
02-22-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm also considering getting a new made stock from Fox-military as well

Why are you getting a new stock..?

KDF82
02-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Well it only took me over a year and a half, but I did manage to buy a set of beautiful HT mounts from Robert.
The whole shebang will hopefully be off to Vaughn after the tax return comes in. :thumbsup: Here's a teaser photo of everything test fit

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/BobaFettSlave_1/IMG_2465_zps6f1a4a74.jpg (http://s896.photobucket.com/user/BobaFettSlave_1/media/IMG_2465_zps6f1a4a74.jpg.html)

Looking good! I came across this thread in the middle of my own HT build. I started off with a beautifully finished BNZ 43 yugo rework. Though they removed the serial and eagles, they left the mod 98 intact. I took it off the lovely blonde BNZ laminate after research including here showed that Steyr didn't make turret mount snipers. So I'm looking for a mauser marked stock now. Thanks for the updates!

Ultimate Shield
05-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Well, it only took 5 and a half years, but it's finally finished. Sent the whole thing off to Vaughn a couple months ago and he did a fantastic job mounting everything. Got my new stock in from Leszek and installed all the metal last night. I still need to make a new locking nut for the dial (there was an accident. dont ask :facepalm: ), but that's a relativity easy fix.
Took forever but I'm happy to have it finally done.

Dave Roberts
05-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Hi Dana , Your Repro HT looks Great . Best Regards

:thumbsup:

Ultimate Shield
05-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks Dave! And thank you very much for all the advice you gave me over the years in getting this done! :thumbsup:

Why are you getting a new stock..?
Sorry I missed your question from so long ago. My reasons for getting a new stock were for a few points. The biggest being that I want my rife to look like a repro so that it cant be easily passed off as an original should something happen and it needed to be sold (Zielsechs is also missing the "+"). Also that, of the spare stocks I have, none are quite straight and would require some messing with to accurize the action. Something I'm not really willing to do. Leszeks stock is damn near perfect and only required the most minimal amount of sanding up by the bayo lug

mjohansson
05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Looks great! I just got my Zeiss Zielsechs back from Vaughn a couple of weeks ago myself, and He did a fantastic job. I have the split ring set up on the HT bases, Now as to the base rifle I only have the one,
an RC 27 code. Still not 100% convinced to use that one or not.
So let us know how she shoots.