Third Party Press

OT Sg98/05

feldmütze

This is slightly off topic, but thought I'd wake some people up.

Anyone come up with a good method or tool to remove the grip nuts/screws without buggering them up?

My smithing screw driver set (Hambones recommendation) has a yoked element that I filed down to fit into the nut slots perfectly. BTW, those nuts are also the nuts used on the stud on .22 trainers to attach the sling too...

Bruce's Sg84/98 type II bayonet book has a section on making a tool for such a project. I have never taken off grips of an Sg98/05, but it should be similar?

I scanned the section, as Bruce is probably ok with doing so...

I would be careful removing the screws though as I have seen grips crack if you do it with to much force.. just be real careful and go slow!

Attachments

• scan0019.jpg
    scan0019.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23
I've already done that, having 2 gunsmithing sets. The problem is that the design is so poor, the bolt head not also being slotted so nothing to grip to. It's really a problem on older ones bayos, even after letting Kroil do it's work.....

Mike ; I made a spanner tool out of a wide thick flat snap ring. It's some excellent spring type steel for the job - just watch the heat when grinding the spanner end.
Anyhow The bolt side of the grip screw has a knurled exterior which is rather firm in the wood it's forced into , unless the wood is rotted or very oil soaked making it soft.
I have always had to address the wood that usually gets "overgrown" from time and such around the nuts and bolt heads. Much like removing a unit disc from a gew98 stock. Slow and careful removal of wood that has flowed into the path that will usually flake/split off and even crack grips if not attended to. Sometimes the screw protruding from the nut needs to be touched up super carefully with a dremel or the nut won't come off and you run the risk of stripping the wood seat out on the bolt side grip -that can be bad enough to split a grip panel !. Patience and working the nut back and forth on it's threads alot to prevent binding are par for the course...oh and don't get grip nuts mixed up as they often have had their threads 'set' for the particular bolt they were screwed down on.

PS . Do not forget to keep pressure on the bolt when working the nut to include placing the bolt side on a stop so you do not inadvertantly push the knurled end out of the grip panel before you are ready for it !.

Military Rifle Journal
Back