Third Party Press

1916 Amberg Gew.98 w/action cover

feldmütze

A recent pick-up, just the way we like 'em....undinked-with and all matching, but unfortunately no rod. Along with the action cover and sling, it came with a banged up 1916 Bavarian Sg98/05.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1916 Amberg with action cover 001.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 002.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 002.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 005.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 005.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 006.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 006.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 007.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 008.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 008.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 010.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 010.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 82
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 015.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 015.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 018.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 018.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1916 Amberg with action cover 019.jpg
    1916 Amberg with action cover 019.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 86
Mike, Nice rifle and kit, but you do know "poachers" need full data disclosure! Can't even add it to the database w/o a LR shot.

Send them direct if you like, but would like to add this rifle to my database and trends lists. If you disassembled it I am also trending BC and Amberg's receiver markings at the base of the siderail (under the woodline). Often times there is a series of letters and numbers here and some of us are trying to decipher a pattern to them.

Nice score by the way!

Hard to say by the pics, but what is the story with the two-tone buttstock? Doesn't look like a two-piece (little early for one anyway) as I don't see the dovetail at the wrist etc.. just discoloration?

Do better pics!

I'll try to get the other pics taken this weekend. I took a bunch and rushed, some didn't quite make the grade so I deleted them. Also, morning outside pics fair better than evening ones for me.

The stock is interesting....that applied stain/varnish is worn on the upper section where the forward hand would be, but the two tone on the buttstock (and it's not two pieced) still puzzles me. It's legit though....

I too thought at first glance it was a two peice butt. Keith Cumberland had a very decent two peice butt - matching but rod 1916 Amberg about 4-5 years ago at the SOS show.
I'm leaning toward it was on a wall and collected verdigris from the air in a place close to a kitchen/fireplae as the R/S of butt is darkened with only lower left and bottom not darkened. Like for a long time it sat horizontally mounted on a wall or somesuch one way to acquire that king of wood patina.

Bill, it's a possibility...I don't know though. That sure is a distinct border between the two on the left side of the buttstock.

Beautiful rifle! Can you take some pics to reveal to me how that action cover "works" and attaches? I've not seen one in person and have wondered how that bugger works (in contrast to the dust cover on an Arisaka). thx

They are a clunky thing, and apparently not very popular.. you see pics of them in use, usually studio pics with new guys in uniform. Not many at the front pics, though I have a pic of a US GI tinkering with a captured MG08/15 with a Kar98a leaning on a table with a partial cover still on the rifle (closest I have seen to them being actually used)

I guess if you have a really nice one, mine have been damaged or have bent rods, they might cycle well enough, but they clip on to the bolt handle and cycle with the bolt along a rod that connects the two ends.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 34
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back