PDA

View Full Version : bnz single claw serial suffix question

tonino7
09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I want to show you something strange about the serial number of two bnz , single claw mount . The first one is in my collection : the letter under the serial is not so clear , probably they used a reversed letter “b” die as an “a” letter , and this is apparently confirmed from the letter A printed on the front mount base .The second one is a similar , but something different , bnz . I recently found its photo in my files .
Before to go on I want to give my excuses to the owner of the other rifle , I am using his photo hoping to do not make something wrong , but unfortunately I have nothing about the source .
Now , the second bnz single claw that I post here is from the same letter block and only 44 numbers before mine , but on the front mount base they printed the letter G . So , isn't strange that the letter is different ? Just a mistake of the worker ? And which is the real suffix of this serial block , “a” or “g” ?
Any idea ?

Nigromontanus
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
The explanation is relatively easy, since I am Austrian and know a bit how they were working at Steyr. First of all, I do not think that the gun first shown is a block, it appears to be q or maybe g stamped not with force properly applied. This happened at Steyr. I always read about discussion on XF year markings on MP44s, which are just XE stamped incorrectly. Mike Steves may give you correct information about the gun numbers, he is expert in this, I am not. But now for the solution of the problem: The man who stamped in the Gun number on the mount applied the letter stamp he read after short inspection of the gun. On the first gun he read a, therefore took the A stamp, on the secod gun he read g, therefore the G stamp. After all, there was a stamp on the mount and this which was required. Do not expect Steyr guns to be made with Prussian correctness. You will find tbv marked StG44 magazines with MP43 stamps...

mjn
09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I think it is interesting to note that if you compare the “5” in the serial number stamped on the front base of each rifle, you can see that they were both stamped using the exact same die. The bottom portion of the “5” is missing on each one. I guess that portion chipped off on the original die stamp, and it was kept in use for awhile longer despite this. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has a single claw base or mount with this same broken “5” on it.

I don’t know for certain, but I’d say that the “A” suffix on the front base of your rifle is a factory mistake. I can see how a tired worker might mistake the lowercase suffix on the barrel for an “a” even though it has a leg on it. Having said that, perhaps the “G” on the other single claw base is also a factory mistake, and the actual letter suffix on both barrels is a “q”.

Mike

mjn
09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Oops, I did not see Nigromontanus's response before hitting the reply button, but it seems that we are both on the same page as far as the reasoning.

Mike

tonino7
09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
So , the correct block of the two single claws is q , the other letters are printed in a second time , and without too much attention to the correctness of the serial letter.
Thanks for the clarification !:hail:

mrfarb
09-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree with Nigromontanus, looks like a q block to me. The bolt may be stamped better so you can tell what it is.

Turbo Archie
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Interesting..

Mine also has a m/m letter block..

tonino7
09-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Archie , may we see a photo of your rig ?
Thanks!

tonino7
09-23-2010, 05:41 AM
As written from Mrfarb I took a look at the serial printed on the bolt : the letter is clearly a g ! Take a look at the photo .
So , summing up the situation , my bnz has the serial on the barrel with a q letter , then the letter becomes A on the mount , and finally we found g on the bolt . Anyone has a bnz with the same letter on the barrel to check what is the situation with the serial on the bolt?

Turbo Archie
09-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Can I see your safety??

I don't have mine on file so I need to get some time to take pictures..

tonino7
09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Here you can see the safety too :