Third Party Press

Nice mp-40!

Looks like someone used the "buy it now" option, yes it is very nice.
Makes me wonder what my matching MP44 is worth these days?
CaptMax

Interesting that it lacks a date (fxo only). Also interesting that it 7113c on the tube and 37113 on the lower. Wonder why?

I'm not so sure it's completely original. It has the late type mag button. Might be some type of rework, my old mp40 parts kit was a rework and had mixed components.

The smooth mag housing is correct for a 1940 date MP.40. However, those pics show me that MP.40 is refinished. Some of the numbers don't look right for an fxo. If I had to bet money, and I'd bet a lot, it's at best refinished and reblued, and at worst it is cobbed together, "restored" with some renumbered parts, and refinished.

Matching MP.40s (original matching that is) with the original finish are tough to find. This piece is not one of them IMHO, and if it is as I set forth, the "winner" overpaid by more than double what it is worth, which is a pretty tough lick when we are talking about over $10k too much.

pretty sure

The smooth mag housing is correct for a 1940 date MP.40. However, those pics show me that MP.40 is refinished. Some of the numbers don't look right for an fxo. If I had to bet money, and I'd bet a lot, it's at best refinished and reblued, and at worst it is cobbed together, "restored" with some renumbered parts, and refinished.

Matching MP.40s (original matching that is) with the original finish are tough to find. This piece is not one of them IMHO, and if it is as I set forth, the "winner" overpaid by more than double what it is worth, which is a pretty tough lick when we are talking about over $10k too much.

Having been a class Three dealer, I have had a fair amount of these in hand....and as Ham states the bluing is off to say the least...this one reminds me of a "waffenfabrik pittsburgh" job.....

As you noted Jack. MP.40s got worn out in use, then postwar, and got worn out by people shooting them postwar. Most all of them have been refinished. The subject MP.40 looks Brownell hot dip Oxpho-blued. If you don't polish anything it looks somewhat close to a dulled out original finish and none of the stampings are effected. If you look on certain parts of that MP.40 you can see the evidence of the polishing after refinishing, notably on the barrel and sling loop. That's about an $11k MP.40, tops IMHO. We do appreciate you posting the link to it TSMG, and this critique has nothing to do with you.

Cheers,
HB

Military Rifle Journal
Back