Third Party Press

metallurgy question

tomhorn1913

During one of my wandering mind moments...

It is well-known that Nazi Germany was on the cutting edge of a lot of technology. Is there anything to indicate that they had started working on improved metallurgy to increase the service life of firearms bores? The MG42 had to be a glutton for barrels. Obviously, all the major powers had quick-change barrels on many of their machineguns. So back to my original query - are there any clues that the Germans were developing anything to extend bore life of their WW2 high-rate weapons?

Peace,
Matt

Hello Matt,
Not that I'm aware of. Barrel making is an art and science which was perfected pretty good by the end of WW2. I think the steel mixes and heat treatments were well identified. I think the main development to advance barrel life since then was chrome lining. Regards,
HB

Last edited:
The Germans used high grade materials, when needed, even late in the war. They did start making Chrome lined barrels for the MG42 also, later in the war.

barrel steel

I've often wondered what alloy was most commonly used for the WW2 German barrels.
I've read that 4150 is common for us. Anyone know what the Germans used for their rifles and light machine guns?
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back