Third Party Press

Ewb

miles136

what does the EWB in the side of the buttstock on a Gew 98 I looked at denote? (I think it was "EWB")

it seemed reworked, bolt and receiver were blued....some matching parts but not all matching, wood seemed nice, very very faint proofs but a deep big EWB on the side of the buttstock, right side I believe

Jon,EWB means Einwohnerwehr Bayern .It was a milita organization in Bavaria formed to combat the communist groups after WW1.The EWB had close to 600,000 members. They marked many of thier weapons with the EWB brand.Every thing from reichsrevolvers to Lugers to Gew.98,s and everything in between.Bud

Thanks Bud

anything to look for on a correct one of these? it looked reworked, but Im not sure if it is a period thing or post war....amny of the numbers matched, and the bolt was blued

Glad to see Bud here!

He is totally correct, but I thought I would add to this some, - the EW (Einwohnerwehr or Civil Guard) existed throughout Germany immediately after the war, and they were essentially a militia, not directly affiliated with the Freikorps and other paramilitary organizations.
The EW in Bavaria and in the eastern areas of Germany existed longer as there was local resistance to their disbandment. (ordered by the German government at the demand of the Entente) They were the largest and last to disband.
Bavaria had undergone a terrible period experimenting with the communist and anarchist version of “hope & change” and was especially resistant to any disbandment. They eventually did disband, well sort of, - the small arms were significantly hidden (Ernst Röhm played a significant role in arming the EWB and became a arms smuggler amongst his many other talents) and the EWB was transformed into a well-known paramilitary organization- The Bund Bayern und Reich, which later merged with Stahlhelm group.

These paramilitary groups would continue to cause a lot of heartburn for the German government and the French as the French were especially vigilant over the effectives (potential reserves for the German Reichsheer) clauses of the Versailles treaty.

Also the numbers estimated by the French and British varied wildly for the various EW militias, for instance the IMKK officially estimated EWB strength at 300,000, while Gen. Morgan (a notorious British General who truly hated Germans and Germany- his book is revealing for the contempt he held for everything German) estimated 500,000 EWB, and the French estimated the entire EW to number 2,000,000! Although they did tend to lump all paramilitary organizations liberally into one big pile.

what does the EWB in the side of the buttstock on a Gew 98 I looked at denote? (I think it was "EWB")

it seemed reworked, bolt and receiver were blued....some matching parts but not all matching, wood seemed nice, very very faint proofs but a deep big EWB on the side of the buttstock, right side I believe

Many variables, as most of these rifles eventually worked their way back into the system. They can be still in the Imperial trim; bright receiver/bolt and lange r/s or they can have the full retail package of upgrades to sS Patrone.

Do some images? Try to get the BC (barrel code)

Thanks Bud

anything to look for on a correct one of these? it looked reworked, but Im not sure if it is a period thing or post war....amny of the numbers matched, and the bolt was blued

Many variables, as most of these rifles eventually worked their way back into the system. They can be still in the Imperial trim; bright receiver/bolt and lange r/s or they can have the full retail package of upgrades to sS Patrone.

Do some images? Try to get the BC (barrel code)

I can possibly get some pics of it, Ill try...thanks for the wealth of info..it is in a small gunshop for sale at $450, I can probably get it for less

Photos

OK the shop owner let me take alot of pics, I had to hurry thought I was at work myself

it is for sale, and Im not sure what these go for but it seems cheap to me

Im not interested but if you are let me know Ill put you in touch with the guy

seems to have nice wood, but few matching parts, bore looked pretty good

Attachments

• DSC07673.JPG
    DSC07673.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC07692.JPG
    DSC07692.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC07695.JPG
    DSC07695.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC07696.JPG
    DSC07696.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC07698.JPG
    DSC07698.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC07699.JPG
    DSC07699.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC07701.JPG
    DSC07701.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC07704.JPG
    DSC07704.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC07710.JPG
    DSC07710.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
More photos

I didnt see a barrel code, must be under the wood

Attachments

• DSC07709.JPG
    DSC07709.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07707.JPG
    DSC07707.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07717.JPG
    DSC07717.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07719.JPG
    DSC07719.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07721.JPG
    DSC07721.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07725.JPG
    DSC07725.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07724.JPG
    DSC07724.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07718.JPG
    DSC07718.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC07716.JPG
    DSC07716.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC07715.JPG
    DSC07715.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 29
Look forward to any worthy analysis

there was a weird stacking rod in it

Attachments

• DSC07705.JPG
    DSC07705.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07682.JPG
    DSC07682.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07683.JPG
    DSC07683.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07712.JPG
    DSC07712.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC07711.JPG
    DSC07711.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07693.JPG
    DSC07693.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07694.JPG
    DSC07694.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC07677.JPG
    DSC07677.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07678.JPG
    DSC07678.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 30
I would avoid the rifle with as little discussion as possible.. it is probably some Spanish import abomination and much of the rifle is.. well.. less than original.

Anyway, no judgment on the seller, - or the rifle really, as it is what it is. But imo the rifle is no longer collectable (to a German military rifle collector)

Thanks for the effort though.

Look forward to any worthy analysis

there was a weird stacking rod in it

I would avoid the rifle with as little discussion as possible.. it is probably some Spanish import abomination and much of the rifle is.. well.. less than original.

Anyway, no judgment on the seller, - or the rifle really, as it is what it is. But imo the rifle is no longer collectable (to a German military rifle collector)

Thanks for the effort though.

LOL!

Likewise thanks for the explanation

I echo Pauls sentiments. The polished receiver is indicative of Spanish use - likely reworked later as opposed to pre-civil war. There are numerous 98M (working term here) rifles imported in this Spanish
reworked config. All legit original German converted 98Ms that I have examined over the years will not
be polished, but may have scrubbed and renumbered parts (the bolt being one).

Hopefully, we will allow adequate coverage of these under appreciated rifles in Vol. 1.

Rifle types issued to the EWB: G88s of various types, G98s, K98as, Mosin M91s. G71s and G71/84s alleged but not confirmed. Handguns: Revolvers M79, M83; pistols P.08, LP.08, Mauser C96s of various types; Bavarian contract Steyr M12s; Roth-Steyr M07s. Rast-Gasser revolvers alleged but not confirmed; Austrian Steyr M12s likely but not confirmed. MG08/15s; MP18s reported but not confirmed. MG08s and artillery known but unknown if/how marked for the EW. Bayonets: called for in published regs and orders but none seem to have turned up marked for the EWB. Markings: EWB brand; some EWB stamped on receivers/frames/slides. Minimal equipment specified in paperwork in hand for the EWB and Berlin EW: rifle/handgun; bayonet, belt, cartridge pouches; ammunition; steel helmet; armband with affixed badge; identification papers; rifle muzzle cover where appropriate. Munich EWB helmets have yellow and black (Munich colors) horizontal stripes painted around circumferance. Some C96 stock holsters are branded EWB; no LP.08 shoulder stocks reported with EWB.
So far nobody seems to have found or published the regs for marking EW weapons. [Update: Storz has info on the application of the EWB brand/stamp.]
Brand BE may be an alternative marking, but so far reported only on one Revolver M83.

Last edited:
What exactly is wrong with it, Simson ? The serial number on the barrel looks a bit weird but I'm seeing familiar things that are on my Gewehr 98.

I'm surprised the gun shop let you take it apart and even take pictures. I guess I don't have enough courage to ask my gun shop to let me do that.

Edit: Hmm, I'm going to take a hard look at my 98m to see if she may have had a Spanish past. Any markings that will indicate Spanish use at one point or another ? The only weird one is on the replacement rear sling swivel base with a swivel in it already. It has "N" with three circles in a pyramid shape stamped on the middle portion. It is the only marking I was unable to identify.

The rifle is re-numbered (suffix is good though).

There is a lot wrong with the rifle but lets just say I didn't even save the pics.

I agree the gun shop allowing pictures is something unexpected... must be a good relationship!

Military Rifle Journal
Back