PDA

View Full Version : M 1911 a1

stabsfeldwebel2
01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Got this today from a old WWII hiding place - still wrap in oil paper - "nearly new"

Slash
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Very nice pistol. I'm sure there are members here that are experts on the Model 1911 but to me this piece shows all the signs of having been post-WWII armory refurbished. My thoughts only .....

waffenmeister
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
That is marked as U S PROPERTY so you should immediately send it to me so I can turn it in for you.

bjarne
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Now again!
Love that pistol:happy0180:

stabsfeldwebel2
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
That is marked as U S PROPERTY so you should immediately send it to me so I can turn it in for you.

Jawohl..waffenmeister..
We have tons of U S Property weapons here..
But Bjarne and I will have it all for hour self :thumbsup:

BerlinerLuebecker
01-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Congrats! Dunno how much you know about 1911s (I'll confess I don't know much either), but I know Ithacas are quite desirable in original condition. If you know Ithaca, NY today, it's hard to imagine it as a major gun manufacturer decades ago!

Hambone
01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Beautiful pistol that anyone here in the US would be thrilled to own!

mike radford
01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Very nice 1943 Ithaca that looks original/not rearsenaled from what can be seen. Note the difference in the US Property letters, more soft since they were sandblasted then finished, and the serial number with more definitely borders which was stamped after finish.

You can also help confirm the finish is original by confirming the feedramp lacking finish. The ordnance cross cannons will often show finish loss since it was stamped after finish but it was often lightly struck. There should also be finish loss in the inside of the frame where the grips screw bushings were staked in place. The barrel should be DuLite blue and most likely HS and P stamped. The mag should also be DuLite blue with an L,S,R or G stamped on the toe. Most likely the Main Spring housing is serrated, vs checkered, as should the hammer and thumb safety. An occasional checkered part will show up in this transitional period at Ithaca.

Ithaca had some quality issues and was somewhat disappointing to US Ordnance but they remain quite desireable due to their name and apparently a lower survival rate than some others. Many went to the AAC, Navy and Lend Lease. Nice score on that one.