Third Party Press

Kar 98 help

seatime

Hi Folks...I am new to the world of Mausers but bought one K98 and now I want another. I am not so much a collector as a shooter and appreciate the accuracy and well built attributes of this fine old gun.

I am interested in a gun listed as a Kar 98...I don't know the difference between a Far 98 and a K 98 but am studying...trouble is...the gun is going to be sold before I learn the different Mausers. A lot of sellers listing these guns have less knowledge than I do...thus I come to you with hat in hand.

I am particularly concerned with the barrel crown...it looks cut off. I have attached a picture

Would you please advise. Here is the listing:

Make: MAUSER

Model: KAR 98

Gauge: .7.92 x 57mm (8mm)

SN#: 2430

Action Type: Bot Action

Barrel Length / Condition: 26”, nice condition, bluing has turned a nice grey patina

Ribbing (Y/N): No

Receiver Condition (ie. Bluing, Engraving, etc.): Great with with wear, blue loss

Stock Condition (ie.Checkering, Wear, etc.): Some minor handling wear. Nice looking

Fore-end Condition (ie. Checkering, Wear, etc.): Same as above

Kind of Sights (ie. Front, Rear): front fixed sight, fit for scope

Trigger/Grip: Nice

Recoil Pad: Bishop butt plate

Attachments

• pop_wm_5934308.jpg
    pop_wm_5934308.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 107
  • pop_wm_5934309.jpg
    pop_wm_5934309.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 52
Welcome to the forum!

Before we start, I want to say that you need to let us know what your intentions are, - the rifle as a collectable, a representative shooter, or as a shooting rifle with no relation to its past as a German military rifle? You see this rifle you show is about as far as you can reasonably get from its original condition and you could never restore it to anything resembling what it once was. (not trying to be unpleasant about this, but this rifle, just from the two pictures, is a total loss from the collector point of view... as a shooting rifle it may have some value)

Regarding your rifle questions, "Far.98" I assume you mean the siderail designation, that German script is Fraktur and the characters are just strange to our eyes, it really is "Kar.98" and there is no such thing as a "Far.98", - if you are referring to something else, elaborate about your meaning on this question?

The rifle you show is heavily altered, I doubt the barrel is original, if it is it is heavily altered, the receiver has the handguard ring removed, the other alterations are obvious, - I doubt you could restore this action even if you wanted to. You can do more pictures of the other aspects if you would like more observations, but just these two pictures show enough that if you are looking for a representative rifle, this isn't going to do it in my opinion.

As to sellers, I doubt many know anything about what they sell, unless they are a collector of that variation also, - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, what makes it bad is when they pretend they do or make claims that are inaccurate.

Kar help

Hey...thanks Lowe...I have thought of buying the gun for shooting only...clearly it is in fact a sporterized something...The FAR I referred to is a typo I meant KAR

But it is the KAR 98 letter and number in general that interests me...is this KAR 98 the same gun as what I as a buyer without much knowledge at all know as a
K98

Also...I have seen two guns with just a date ie 1940 and 1944 on the receiver. Nothing else...nada but the guns were clearly Mauser design to the letter...no pun intended...there were no letters on one gun. My cousin has a nice old short rifle with 1940 on the top of the receiver and nothing else...yet the is the letter V and a 4 digit number beside it.... on the side of the receiver.

With that said...did they make K98's or KARs with just a date on them or does this immediately reflect a foreign version.

So...how does one know if the gun is German...maybe the prewar WWII guns had no specific codes numbers and crests.

Another thing...do you think that barrel has been cut off at the crown.

Thanks again for your time...this is a very interesting hobby and challenging as heck...I have a book ordered.

Best Regards,

Fred

Seatime,

I think the best advise I can give is to get Bruce and Steves series of books on the K98k "Kriegsmodell and Karabiner 98k.These have THE best info to date.:hail::hail: I would also recomend "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"...It's out dated but still has some good information in it.:thumbsup: JMTCW

Bill

Kar Help

Yes I have ordered one book from the library and will probably purchase some older ones through Amazon and eBAy...thanks for the advice

Fred

Seatime,

I think the best advise I can give is to get Bruce and Steves series of books on the K98k "Kriegsmodell and Karabiner 98k.These have THE best info to date.:hail::hail: I would also recomend "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"...It's out dated but still has some good information in it.:thumbsup: JMTCW

Bill

Hi Fred,

I'm going to be kinda blunt, first you have to understand this is a collector site, far from a gunsmith/sporter site meaning people don't come here to talk about cut up sporter Mauser's unless its for historical reference. The key is you have interest in Mauser 98's and most people here can easily answer your questions. Loewe is highly knowledgeable, and I would value any information he takes the time to post.
I am less-knowledgeable, but will do my best to confuse you further.

See below:

But it is the KAR 98 letter and number in general that interests me...is this KAR 98 the same gun as what I as a buyer without much knowledge at all know as a
K98

Yes, but technically no. In general, it starts with the WW1 GEW98 which is a long gun in 8mm. These guns say GEW98 on the side-rail and were produced up untill 1918. This was the common standard issue gun for Germany in WW1. During this time, they also issued a shorter carbine or "Karabiner" 98 for cavalry and other rear guard. These will say KAR98 on the side rail and we refer to them as a 98a.
The only gun I know of that actually has K98 on the side rail is a polish version of the German KAR98 or 98a. So if it reads K98, its not really a K98..

Fast forward to WW2, they stopped production of the long gun version and continued with a short version that we all know as a German K98 or "Karabiner98" but these will be marked as MOD 98 on the side-rail..

Also...I have seen two guns with just a date ie 1940 and 1944 on the receiver. Nothing else...nada but the guns were clearly Mauser design to the letter...no pun intended...there were no letters on one gun. My cousin has a nice old short rifle with 1940 on the top of the receiver and nothing else...yet the is the letter V and a 4 digit number beside it.... on the side of the receiver.
With that said...did they make K98's or KARs with just a date on them or does this immediately reflect a foreign version.

Can't help with this other than you can find a "1937" marked receiver but that would be a Cz VZ24 and not a K98.

So...how does one know if the gun is German...maybe the prewar WWII guns had no specific codes numbers and crests.
It takes time, but keep in mind, the early guns for south america were still made by Mauser in Germany.

Another thing...do you think that barrel has been cut off at the crown.

attachment.php

That or its really a .22 cal, look at how small that hole is, must be cut way up the barrel to look that way. Looks like they also fitted part of a bayonet lug as the front site ??

In addition to the books, there is a ton of information on this site. Look in the GEW98 section and look at the pictures. We also have a pictures reference section for K98's here:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?45-Picture-Reference-Index

Hope that helps,
Archie

Last edited:
Kar help

OK, thanks Archie. I am sorry to have intruded on a collectors site but who else would better know the finer points than you fellows so give me an "A+" for research tool finding... but bear in mind I am a potential collector and already love the mystery and investigation involved in these great old guns and this interesting challenge is what probably pulled many of you guys into this hobby. Remember your first K98...what did you do when you got it...you started accumulating knowledge and this is precisely how you got to be a senior member on this great and ultimately informative forum. I shoot all my guns...I reload for all my guns and I research the history of all my guns. This forum is my first step into a real adventure in firearms...German firearms are maybe the most complicated to study of all and without people like you...some of us would just give up. Because of the information you fellows have given me...I am on my way to buying a much better and unaltered example of the K98...so I assure you...your time and comments are most appreciated old son.

Yes...the caliber is more like a 22 than an 8MM for sure...I noticed that right off the bat.

Thanks, your taking the time to answer elementary questions has been truly of great help...I am going to find some of the recommended books on eBay and Amazon now...

Fred

Last edited:
Kar help

PS...the link to the picture site proved to be really something. I enjoyed looking at those rifles and handguns.

Military Rifle Journal
Back