Third Party Press

Hello from Oregon

Rupe

Hi my name is Rupe ( Sounds like Loop with an R) I just bought my first mauser from an old friend. He said it was a K98k but I don't know yet. He sporterized it. But I just wanted a mauser to start with. After surfing around the net, I see my Mauser won't make it back to factory specs. But I am finding out so much info. that I am going to keep an eye open for good samples of K98k's. I love the old WWII Mausers and have always wanted one. I guess I was hoping I could do something with the one I have, but I guess I will keep it for a hunting rifle. There are numbers all over it and I am hoping I can pick up some info. on what it was at one time. Great site you have here!
Rupe

Welcome! Post some photos of what's left! What maker is it?

Thank you, glad to be here. I hate to admit it, but I don't know who made it or where to look to find the maker.This is the first Mauser I have ever had and as I said I don't know much about them. But I will take it out of the stock and clean the paint off of it. Yes paint, he painted over the finish so it would look nice. I don't know if I can post pictures yet. I live off grid and have to use my cell phone to get on line. I'll check and see if I can. I would really like to know more about my rifle, It will be.a few days before I can get to it. But I will get you some kind of info. for you. As I said there seems to be numbers all over it. Once I get some of the paint off I should be able to read and photo them.
Thank you again,
Rupe

OK, I brushed off some of the paint, which would have flaked off with in a coiple of weeks,
Mrs. Rupe and I combined our eye sight and came up with the following numbers.
On the top of the barrel 660 21 38 BO (the 21 were larger then the other numbers and so was the BO
On the Barrel shank, outside of the receiver was O2
On the left side of receiver ring 1,642 C2 the C had what looked like an L stamped halfway over it.
Farther down just passed the Receiver ring was stamped VZ 24.
On top of the Receiver ring, which is almost all worn off is 3 rows.
Top row - CESKOSLOVEN Looks like a small v on top of the C.
Middle row- looks like ZBROJOVKA, ( very hard to see)
Bottom row- has 2 horrizonal line one on top of the other
Then the letters BRNO then 2 more horrizonal lines one on top of the other.
On the right side of the barrel just at the stock line is a star shape.
On the bolt release lever the numbers 445 are stamped on top.
On the bolt shaft it looked like the numbers 1227 but they were so light, I wouldn't swear to it.
Under the bolt handle, which has been cut and re-welded, you can just barely make out either the numbers 80 or 90 or they may be 06 or 08 depending on how you are looking at them. There had been alot of grinding on the.bolt handle and nothing else could be seen. On the safety lever facing the butt is stamped "MARK II"
It appears that someone may have used an unprotected vise or maybe unprotected jaws from Channel lock type pliers or pipe wrench. Who knows. The wear on the receiver ring was really bad, I doubt the barrel came on this receiver, because it didn't have the wear that that the markings on the receiver had. There were also places which looked as though some one used a center punch to maybe eliminate or cover markings, but that is a guess and there are enough tool marks/vise marks to not be able to tell.

I haven't pulled the barrel out of the stock yet to see if there are any markings or numbers hidden from view.
I took several photo's, but Having to use my cell phone to post pictures I'm still not sure if I can do it yet. I.can TXT or email them one at a time, if you would like to see the rifle. Thank you for your interrest in my rifle, I hope it can tell us something. To me it says it may have been made in 1938, maybe in Czech.???
Any questions I will attempted to answer them. Thank you again,
Rupe

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, like a VZ24 receiver built into a K98k rifle. Can you email photos?

I want to give mrgarb a Big Thank you for helping me with finding a few things about my VZ24 Mauser.
It looks like it isn't any kind of a collector piece. It was found to be a mixture of good parts from several
other Mausers of the 98 type.
What this did do is to perk my interest in the K98's and the VZ24's. It also got me thinking about collecting and what it is you are looking for when you first pick up a Mauser, say at a gun show, what are you looking for right off the bat?
Are the RC's something you want to stay away from? I guess what I'm looking for is when I am at a gun show and I see an old Mauser what should I be looking for? I can't strip the guys gun down right there at his table looking for marks and numbers, so is there a clue for you collectors that makes you try to make a deal for buying it?
Can you tell I am new to this? I have been doing alot of reading lately on the K98's but you can't ask an article a question.
Also I read one thing about RC's are good to get then read something else that says they are crap and not worth getting.
So if any of you guys in the know have some free time and want to do some typing, I would really like to hear whay you have to say.
I' ve been buying and selling guns for 30 years off and on. And I am a shooter, hunter, and a gun nut just never have tried to collect any. I am thinking this could be alot of interesting and fun challenage to find a good collectable K98 style Mauser.
Thanks
Rupe

Hello Rupe, I too only have a cell phone to do this with. You can post pics easily, just write your post, then scroll down and click on manage attachments it will take you to another page. At the top you will see on the left spaces to add pics. Click on them one at a time it will allow you to use pics from your phone. When you have all them selected click upload, this takes a minute or two. Then close that page, it will go back to your post, click review post to see your pics added then submit post. I hope this helps, I had a time figuring it out myself. Welcome and good luck on the mauser disease, there is no cure. The only thing that helps is to add more of them. I just read the rest of your post, sounds a lot like my history. I am no mauser expert, but have always liked them, its just something about them I can't put my finger on, they to me and apparently many others are very interesting. If I were you I would either look for a rc with a nice bore if like me you are a shooter, and also think of the history of these. Its probably the least expensive way to get started and you don't have to worrry about hurting it, or maybe a nice bolt or stock mm which are sometimes reasonable. Believe me it will snowball on you. I don't have the money a lot of these guys have, but over the years got lucky a few times and picked up a few nice ones here and there. Just my two cents, again welcome and good luck. Ken.

Last edited:
Hello Rupe, I too only have a cell phone to do this with. You can post pics easily, just write your post, then scroll down and click on manage attachments it will take you to another page. At the top you will see on the left spaces to add pics. Click on them one at a time it will allow you to use pics from your phone. When you have all them selected click upload, this takes a minute or two. Then close that page, it will go back to your post, click review post to see your pics added then submit post. I hope this helps, I had a time figuring it out myself. Welcome and good luck on the mauser disease, there is no cure. The only thing that helps is to add more of them. I just read the rest of your post, sounds a lot like my history. I am no mauser expert, but have always liked them, its just something about them I can't put my finger on, they to me and apparently many others are very interesting. If I were you I would either look for a rc with a nice bore if like me you are a shooter, and also think of the history of these. Its probably the least expensive way to get started and you don't have to worrry about hurting it, or maybe a nice bolt or stock mm which are sometimes reasonable. Believe me it will snowball on you. I don't have the money a lot of these guys have, but over the years got lucky a few times and picked up a few nice ones here and there. Just my two cents, again welcome and good luck. Ken.

Thank you for the photo info. I will give it a try once I have something of interest.
Yes the Mauser bug.is funny. The one and only one that I've shot until now was.back when I was 18. I never forgot that and I have always wanted one to shoot of my own. Now that I have one, I seem to want another one! :) I have.rhis same problem with different cali ers for my Savage Striker. One barrel wasn't enough and now 4 isn't enough! Having Two addictions is not going to do make my wallet any fatter that's for sure.
Thanks again for the info.
Rupe

Military Rifle Journal
Back