Third Party Press

Erfurt 1918 Kar a Late??

Picked one up earlier this summer. Haven't had time to tear it down and take pictures, when I do, will post them. All matching but the bolt, which matches itself. Rifle is a single letter block. Bolt serial is 5778hh. Sadly, have no history to the rifle or bolt, or how the bolt ended up in this rifle. Here are pics of the bolt..

I suppose there is no way to tell when the bolt would have been made either?, could be a made at another factory or time.

Attachments

• CIMG4068.jpg
    CIMG4068.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG4109.jpg
    CIMG4109.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 56
  • CIMG4072.jpg
    CIMG4072.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 66
  • CIMG4100.jpg
    CIMG4100.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Bolt looks to be Erfurt, judging by the fireproof eagle. Also, the serial range is really high, and I'm pretty sure only Erfurt ever made Kars into these ranges. Using the serial, you can narrow it down to 1916, 17, or 18, when Erfurt produced enough Kars to reach these suffixes. That's my take on the bolt, SimsonSuhl could tell you more.

PM gave a great outline and is correct, it is possible it came out of any 1916-1918 Erfurt. The fireproof is Erfurt, and they are the only facility that broke into double suffixes for the Kar98a.

It is "probably" 1916-1917 considering the serial is at the extreme high range for 1918 (actually slightly higher than the highest confirmed rifle, - most this high stayed in German hands and subsequently would have been blued during the interwar period)

Thanks for the info. Looking through posts, if looks like 1918 went into the hh block, 1917 in the vv block, how far did they get in 1916?

I guess any 1918 hh block that escaped destruction or worked over would be kinda rare.

Will put up some pictures when I get time to take the wood off for the barrel codes and the bottom of the receiver.

5000 mm block for 1916 at Erfurt.

You are right on the others, which blow all the Gew.98 manufacturers away in rifles produced.. Danzig was closest but still many thousands behind.
What is more impressive than this is Erfurt was involved in so many other things and Danzig wasn't.. Erfurt was a powerhouse of production- pumping out components for the Modell98, making MG08/15 and the P08!

No other firm was comparable during this time period. (imo)

We would very much like to get the data off your rifle, as you have the time. Thanks

looking for a stock for a 98 a

I have a 1918 Erfurt, and need a stock. All the parts match, so a good stock would really help. I have it in a vz 24 stock right now, just so it fits in the gun safe. I also need the forend metal with the hanger. It will go well with my 88 and Gew 98, as well as my 1917 Remington Nagant with 1020 serial number.

Military Rifle Journal
Back