Third Party Press

1917 Simson & Co Gew98

jlj

My 1917 Simson has a 2 under the serial # unlike the rest of my g98 rifles which have letters (except my Erfurt stern gew). Is this the norm for 1917 Simson? JL

Does the receiver have a star mark on the top, above the Simson mark? Some Simsons were assembled in Dresden, and are technically Sterngewehrs.

Agreed, has to be an Dresden assembled sterngewehr.

Does It have Saxon style acceptance and a Saxon cypher on the buttstock & buttplate, if the stock matches it probably will.

Stock doesn't match, though all metal does except bayonet lug and buttplate. No star on receiver. JL

This rifle is sounding more and more like the old AmbroseS rifle recently sold by Amoskeag?

Do some images? I have details on the rifle from Ambrose before he passed away, but he never did pictures,- and neither did Amoskeag..

Is your rifle serial 7482/2?

Stock doesn't match, though all metal does except bayonet lug and buttplate. No star on receiver. JL

Yes, I got it for a $300 bid. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, what would you like pics of? JL

Great!

Like to see top/right/left receiver shots, also the barrel markings. These things will confirm when (roughly) and who assembled the rifle- whether Simson or Dresden.

If its a Dresden job, the trigger guard might be interesting as they sometimes marked them differently. Too bad about the stock- some of the best information comes from a stock.

pics

Not very good at pics but here they are. JL

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 47
more pics

Pics of other parts. JL

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 29
Really good pictures!

Well it is certainly a sterngewehr, and in the same pattern as all the other "Simson" marked examples, except for the lacking "star". It has the exact style of acceptance, the tg has the suffix, the style of the fireproof etc..

A collector in Germany has a rifle very close to yours, about 1200 rifles before yours, his rifle is much the same and his stock is Saxon cyphered, as are all the others with an original stock.

Weird part, is these "Dresden" sterngewehrs with Simson receivers do not share a similar RR acceptance pattern with the other maker marked rifles (Spandau's) but largely are the same otherwise. These Simson "sterngewehrs" do however all share a unique RR acceptance, slight variations but consistent, - it is different than normal Simson production and from other that are attributed to Dresden.

Not sure what this means, - whether they were made at Simson, Dresden, or something else. Only that they share many characteristics of rifles I attribute to Dresden but they have a unique acceptance pattern.

You did well for $300 getting a Simson matching action. Simson marked (sterngewehr or regular production) rifles are very elusive in any decent condition. Easily the scarcest manufacturer represented in the database.

A lot of bargains were had at that auction. Did you happen to catch who bought the depot marked 1918/28 VCS? It had a “Zn” across the top?

Now that was an interesting (and important) rifle!

auction

I would have liked to have gone to the auction, but I did the absentee bid thing since I couldn't find a decent price on a flight from Nebr on the short notice when the catalog was posted. I got 2 other Gew98 rifles, 1916 Sauer (the hardest maker for me to find) and 1901 Mauser, both matching. JL

S&S is a tough maker to find- no question.

MarkW once told me he found it the toughest maker to find original and matching. Problem with all the Suhl makers (except Simson) is that there is no way to figure out which is scarcer as they shared serial numbers (imo- as if they serialed individually they blow away Storz official figures.. a couple times over.).

They could be scarcer than Simson individually, but we will likely never know for sure.

Ambrose's 1901 is cool with the Würt. f/p! Glad it is in good hands!

I would have liked to have gone to the auction, but I did the absentee bid thing since I couldn't find a decent price on a flight from Nebr on the short notice when the catalog was posted. I got 2 other Gew98 rifles, 1916 Sauer (the hardest maker for me to find) and 1901 Mauser, both matching. JL

Military Rifle Journal
Back