Third Party Press

Short and salty

S/42

Thunda from down unda
Got the camera out today to photograph some of the collection, including my G33/40.

It's an all-matching example, albeit salty. She was put away wet a few times, and has signs of water damage on the stock (molten snow? ;) ) The bore is VERY good.

ORIGINAL (and original to rifle) sight hood, and a genuine rod (I added it - it's a K marked 10" K98 rod).

This is purported to be a US vet bring back.

Here it is - my all-matching SALTY 1940 "945" G33/40, 4396a

Attachments

• coll-53.JPG
    coll-53.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 70
  • coll-56.JPG
    coll-56.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 69
  • coll-57.JPG
    coll-57.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 64
  • coll-60.JPG
    coll-60.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 66
  • coll-63.JPG
    coll-63.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 63
  • coll-67.JPG
    coll-67.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 55
  • coll-70.JPG
    coll-70.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 47
  • coll-54.JPG
    coll-54.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 48
  • coll-55.JPG
    coll-55.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
  • coll-61.JPG
    coll-61.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Lewis, I think the old rifle looks good, nothing wrong with salty on a tough code ( or even matching common code ), its real and that is what counts. GR

Lewis:

Nice example of the earlier vertical firing proof receiver for 1940. All the 1940 barrels have the vertical firing proof but later they went horizontal on the receiver.

Look under the rear site leaf for the 6th matching number…use a flash light as it is far easier than taking the dammed thing off.

I already found the rear sight number when I had it apart. Thankfully, the metal under the wood is in VERY nice condition, so the wood only copped the watering (like I said, probably darned snow - much like some of the Swiss K31's we see). I have NO INTENTION of having it apart again! (besides, those staked screws make me NOT want to do THAT again - 5 minutes per screw - NO THANKS! Plus that handguard is NOT going to come off from me either - I never liked spring clip retained handguards in the first place, let alone on fragile wood!!!

It has character - like all my rifles. I like the rifles that have been there and done that. Sure, I'd like a mint example, but I prefer the used ones (for example, I bought 2 DSM 34 trainers - one in PRISTINE condition with SA plaque on the butt, and one that was used extensively - I sold the SA plaqued one to a friend, and kept the used one.) Just me I guess. I like the talkers (even in women :thumbsup: )

Last edited:
I must send Robert this link too. I think he'd appreciate how she turned out with a LOT of TLC.

The Czechs REALLY went to town with the red oxide primer under the buttplate and side plate on this one! When I took those off to clean them (HAD to soak in vinegar for 2 weeks. NOT going to polish the metal either - stays as is), not only was the metal WELL coated, but so was the wood! They sure didn't want snow melt / water getting in under causing metal problems! The primer is actuially visible on the edge of the buttplate where it meets the sideplate that you can JUST see in one photo. Thankfully, the vinegar DIDN'T lift the original paint (though I did stock up on a can of red oxide primer JUST in case!)

Military Rifle Journal
Back