Third Party Press

Newly acquired Karab.98b

I just recently purchased my first Mauser, a Karab.98b. The folks at the shop I bought it from could not provide me with a lot of information. Since it is not a commonly found variant and the bolt is incredibly smooth I picked it up. The bolt does not match, but is otherwise all matching besides the butt plate (so far as I know). I included photos of all the markings I could get a good shot of without breaking it down. This seems like the place to get accurate information for this particular rifle, so if anyone could help me out with production date, manufacturer, when it was issued, or anything else I would really appreciate it. I can provide more photos if needed.

karab4.jpg
karab3.jpg
karab2.jpg
karab1.jpg
karab5.jpg
karab6.jpg
karab7.jpg

Welcome to the forum, - though it is a little hard to make out the suffix for sure, the rifle is a "b" block going by the RR pattern and acceptance, it was probably made around 1928 but it is impossible to say with what we currently know. (if you divide the number of rifles between 1926 and the introduction of the "Mod.98" siderail, which we know was introduced in August 1930, they seem to have made about 10-15k each year. I suspect earlier production was less, increasing in later years after the IAMCC departed in 1927)

The stock should have acceptance on the right side of the stock and be serialed along the bottom. Typically if the buttplate is mismatched, the stock usually is too, but this rifle looks to be one of the Albania imports and some had original parts, often the components would be the same make if mismatch (all 98b but m/m).

Your questions: probably about 1928, the maker Simson Suhl, issued probably shortly after manufactured (any unit marking on the take down?). Try and do some pictures of the stock, its markings and serial, and if it has a unit marking that too. Typically they are on the take down in the buttstock.

I just recently purchased my first Mauser, a Karab.98b. The folks at the shop I bought it from could not provide me with a lot of information. Since it is not a commonly found variant and the bolt is incredibly smooth I picked it up. The bolt does not match, but is otherwise all matching besides the butt plate (so far as I know). I included photos of all the markings I could get a good shot of without breaking it down. This seems like the place to get accurate information for this particular rifle, so if anyone could help me out with production date, manufacturer, when it was issued, or anything else I would really appreciate it. I can provide more photos if needed.

Welcome to the forum, - though it is a little hard to make out the suffix for sure, the rifle is a "b" block going by the RR pattern and acceptance, it was probably made around 1928 but it is impossible to say with what we currently know. (if you divide the number of rifles between 1926 and the introduction of the "Mod.98" siderail, which we know was introduced in August 1930, they seem to have made about 10-15k each year. I suspect earlier production was less, increasing in later years after the IAMCC departed in 1927)

The stock should have acceptance on the right side of the stock and be serialed along the bottom. Typically if the buttplate is mismatched, the stock usually is too, but this rifle looks to be one of the Albania imports and some had original parts, often the components would be the same make if mismatch (all 98b but m/m).

Your questions: probably about 1928, the maker Simson Suhl, issued probably shortly after manufactured (any unit marking on the take down?). Try and do some pictures of the stock, its markings and serial, and if it has a unit marking that too. Typically they are on the take down in the buttstock.

Thanks for the response! I made an album to make viewing the photos I took easier. Upon dis-assembly It looks as though the hand guard and stock are not matching, however the trigger group and receiver are. There are good, clear stamps underneath the receiver below the wood line. I also found some faint stamps on the right side of the stock and just behind the trigger guard. They are very faded and quite hard to photograph but I hope the shots I took will give you a chance to help further provide information on this example. Thanks again for welcoming me to the forum and shedding some light on the history of this rifle.

(Karabiner 98b photos)

Last edited:
Thanks for disassembling the rifle, at least you have the right parts, - you are ahead of many in that regard!

A very nice example, you did well.

I am having trouble reading the import mark near the muzzle, what is the country of origin under the Century mark (CAI, St. Albans, Vt.)? Is it Bulgaria? A fair number of long Karab.98 and 98M were imported by Century from there.

Thanks for disassembling the rifle, at least you have the right parts, - you are ahead of many in that regard!

Not a problem, the dis-assembly was a bit sticky but it came apart fine. Can I safely say that this is a correct example with just replacement/mis-matched parts from the right model?

Sorry, Albania rather than Bulgaria. :facepalm:

The stamp reads "AL. ST. ALB. VT." The next line below reads "M98 GERMANY 8MM"

I am not familiar with import markings and the shop I bought it from did not comment on where they had acquired it from. If any of these reveal its background I would appreciate any info regarding this. Thanks to those who have helped with this thread so far, I appreciate your input so much, hails and respect!

Yes, it seems so, all the parts I noticed were model correct (98b), - although the bolt is not right, the manner in which the sleeve and safety are serialed show them not right for a 98b, they are probably 98k parts.

It seems most of the Albania rifles came here through Germany, it seems to be the practice of importers, sending to Germany and then here, or maybe this is the "origin" of the rifle, not sure which as importation has never been an interest, but you can be sure this is most likely a rifle that came in from Albania during the 1990's, most 98b are, they probably doubled or tripled the numbers of 98b in America when they came here... certainly the vast majority known are Albanian "like" in condition (screwed up, which is why decent ones cost $3k+)

Not a problem, the dis-assembly was a bit sticky but it came apart fine. Can I safely say that this is a correct example with just replacement/mis-matched parts from the right model?

Yes, it seems so, all the parts I noticed were model correct (98b), - although the bolt is not right, the manner in which the sleeve and safety are serialed show them not right for a 98b, they are probably 98k parts.

It seems most of the Albania rifles came here through Germany, it seems to be the practice of importers, sending to Germany and then here, or maybe this is the "origin" of the rifle, not sure which as importation has never been an interest, but you can be sure this is most likely a rifle that came in from Albania during the 1990's, most 98b are, they probably doubled or tripled the numbers of 98b in America when they came here... certainly the vast majority known are Albanian "like" in condition (screwed up, which is why decent ones cost $3k+)

Would that make this an Albanian made Mauser? Thanks so much for the information, it really does mean a lot to me that you are sharing your knowledge of these rifles. Given the photos I have posted what would a rough estimate of its current value be? I know it is hard to accurately say without handling it and examining the bore, wood, etc. I am not looking to sell it but it would be nice to know if I got a good deal on my first Mauser purchase.

Last edited:
Oh no, Albania didn't make them, - little is known of the origins, but probably the soviets gave them to Albania after WWII. Possibly from the area, - a rifle like the 98b and upgraded Gew98's would have been in backwater areas like the Balkans during WWII, the soviets might have recovered these secondary rifles in Rumania-Bulgaria or the areas they occupied and being longer rifles just decided to dump them on the Albanians rather than scrapping them or refurbishing them like they did the 98k they took.

So far as I know, no one knows the circumstances, - when these came in the forums were not the bastion of knowledge they are today, - only a few people knew jacksquat back then, myself included... back then Gunboards was Mauser & Mosin's only, Gun & Knife was the 98k forum where some of us first got to know one another, - Craig-Hamboner, MauserBill, ScottB and a few others were the go-to guys back then, only our Hambone is still active these days on the forums. What was written about these was mostly in print, the MRJ, KCN had "finds" articles, where some of the collectors would describe the rifles they were getting, but little about the origins were mentioned. John Wall and MarkW got a good number of these 98b rifles, JW did a sheet on some of his, and they were a diverse lot but many rarities...

As for value, impossible to say, probably around $500, much depends on how attractive it is, they can go for more or less, I think Cyrus sold one recently, a 1925 and got $600 or so? Maybe more, I don't remember, - at auction, say gunbroker, pictures and description are everything, I'd say $500 or more, possibly a good deal more if you do it right. Some guys are really successful on gunbroker, but for me it is typically "gunborker" when I sell a rifle....

The import stamp is for Century Arms Intl., St Albans, Vermont. This means it was imported pre 2000 since Century moved to Georgia Vt in 2000. Century received a large shipment of Mausers (mixed) in the mid 90s from Albania. I got my B from that shipment.
SteveK

Military Rifle Journal
Back