Third Party Press

MP43, MP44, STG 44 sickness

Waffentag

At he SOS, I started the paperwork on an MP44 thinking maybe this will be the cure. My Dad was with the 17th Airbone in WW2 and ever since he told me about carrying a captured German MP43 I have wanted one.

So, now, the waiting begins. In the mean time, I have the PTR 44, a couple of dummy Guns and two of the ATI STG 44s to play with. The ATi STG shoots well, but does not meet my standards for a realistic MP 44 in 22.

Has anyone tried to rework an ATI STG 44 with a metal mag and ZF 4 rail and scope?

Is it remotely possible to rework a G3 22 conversion kit to work with a PTR44 or MP44?

Just curious, Pat

.22's etc.

A fellow I met at the Creek showed me a Airsoft MP44 that he modified to .22 using a Armscorp .22 semi rifle action and barrel. The Airsoft mags are metal into which he inserted a .22 mag. Doing those made little sense after the ATI .22's became available. He moved on to built parts sets in 9MM. He inserted Sterling mags in MP44 mag bodies for those guns. I shot 2 of his 9MM MP44 semis at the Creek. They worked and shot well. You can find the Airsoft mags on Ebay for around $25 from a guy in Nevada.
Dunno about a scope mount. Probably could fab a mount like the PTR's have and maybe epoxy or screw it onto the ATI receiver. Thinking those rec. are not made of a weldable material?? Or do they have the mounting setup on the rear sight base? Good luck finding a mount for that rig.
Re the .22 G3 conversion.
Considering the cost, I'd think one would be better off starting with one of the common .22 conversions for the AR type rifles. Neither the G3 or the .223 type would be anywhere near a drop in anyway, both needing major machine work and fabrication before even trying to figure out how to get a mag to mount and work. Better off to start with the less expensive rig.
I tell guys all the time that most anything can be made to work. It's just a matter of how long you want to spend behind the lathe, Bridgeport and TIG machine.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back