Third Party Press

DWM 1917 98 M withLK5 stamp

toulon44

hello

got this one with a VZ24 two days ago , all matching exept the magazine follower and extractor but i think they are period replacement , not perfect but i like it .
here are the pics

3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

10.jpg
11.JPG
12 (2).JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.jpg
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
22.JPG
21.JPG

This rifle is quite original, meaning to its original manufacture, which is unusual because most rifles that stayed in German hands went through a number of reworks, especially those that had a long service life. This rifle was probably a black rifle, one that was hidden and pulled out late, went through an upgrade quite late, the e/135 scale is a good sign of this, but most of all it is unusual for being so factory-original (which suggests it wasn't in service in the interwar period).

Most of the parts outside of the RS are original, that is the stock, bolt, barrel are original – it is not common for a upgraded G98 to be so original. SS reworks sometimes are an exception, they do seem to re-use many original parts, but typically the Army was less sentimental about replacing parts.

The LK5 is as Ryan (I think it was Ryan) who outlined it for you, unknown, but believed to be related to the Luftgaukommando's (Luftgau Headquarters, similar to the Wehrkreis system)

Thanks for sharing the rifle and being so thorough!

thanks

i'm with you about your reasoning , i think so that it has been upgraded later in the war the e/135 appeared in 1942 but my feeling is that it has been reworked in begening 44 and the job has been done in hurry so only the rear sight has been replaced , but who knows , i'll post the VZ24 pics as soon as i'll have do them , this last has a double LK5 stamp and come from the same area so may be they are issued from the same unit .

Military Rifle Journal
Back