PDA

View Full Version : Byf 44 zf41

johnmac
10-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Hello to all! Absolutely love this forum it's all about my passion!....... I figured I'd start posting a few of my fav's.... here's the first.

all opinions welcome.

BYF 44 with the zf rail all numbers match.

stock has been lightly sanded and the only markings what so ever are WaA135 on side of butt, "C" right below an * on the bottom of the stock and "Br" behind the butt plate. butt plate is stamped GQM 44 WaA A88? (Looks like WaA 88 even though Law BBOTW pg. 230 states it WaA 98)???

bolt is all matching except for the safety which is a different hue and is stamped Eagle over 37. Firing pin, bolt body, bolt sleeve and cocking piece are all serialed. cocking piece sports WaA 135? (hard to tell even through a loupe).
Also bolt release is S42 with eagle over 63

barrel is stamped BYF over 1 inside a crest then 44 N 20 then Eagle over 135.

Zf41 scope fits real nice and snug and was Really close to zero at 100 yards right out of the gate.

The bottom of magazine is stamped BYF over dual eagle 135, then the floorplate is stamped BFY over eagle 135.

Both upper and lower band are unmarked and welded.

johnmac
10-29-2010, 02:17 AM
a few more .....

johnmac
10-29-2010, 02:24 AM
ok two more....... I had to post these two to officially qualify this thread to be worthy of the sniper forum.....(even though this is only a "sharp shooter rig"):biggrin1:

mrfarb
10-29-2010, 07:57 AM
First off, welcome to the forum. Second, I LOVE your byf44 L block ZF41 rifle. There was a rash of ZF41's made at the end of 44 and beginning of 45. I also love the C* subcontracted stock- gives it that little bit of uniqueness collectors like. Great gun!

Luc
10-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Indeed , nice rig :thumbsup:

Bigdibbs88
10-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Agreed. Thats a nice setup

johnmac
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the compliments fellas. I couldn't be happier with it..

Mr. Farb, I sure its in on of my books, and I probably just over looked it, but could you please tell me to whom the s* stock was sub contracted out to?

Luc, this is the setup that I tried to send you photos of a while back when my email was going crazy. Feel free to use them on your website or however you wish. Sorry I never followed up on that.

johnmac
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Also could someone please shed some light on the bolt. To my understanding the safety should be serialed. Instead it simply sports an eagle over 35. Was this the beginning of late war desperation? Or is there some issue with that as the hue of the rest of the bolt is clearly different than that of the safety?

Also can anyone explain the Br stamp behind the butt plate?

It seems to me that this rifle is about one step ahead of a kriegsmodel, with the subcontracted stock, unserialized front band, The s42 bolt release, and a few other signs. Imo it seems this rifle shows a few signs of the beginnings of desperation.

Bob in OHIO
12-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey John- I would expect the safe would be unnumbered for an L-block '44 and perhaps the E/35 you see is actually E/37 for Sauer.

The 'C' stock, commonly found on Gustloff rifles, was made by Dresdner Tischfabrik (see pg. 83-84 in Kriegsmodell).

I always like to see the inlet for the zf scope. When you get a chance do some pics of that inlet...thx

johnmac
12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey John- I would expect the safe would be unnumbered for an L-block '44 and perhaps the E/35 you see is actually E/37 for Sauer.

The 'C' stock, commonly found on Gustloff rifles, was made by Dresdner Tischfabrik (see pg. 83-84 in Kriegsmodell).

I always like to see the inlet for the zf scope. When you get a chance do some pics of that inlet...thx

Ahhhh I see you found me Bob..... What exactly do you refer to as the inlet? are you talking about the stock cut or the groove on the zf rail??? i'll be happy to shoot some for ya as soon as i'm schooled on the inlet.
and thank you very much for the info on the questions i asked earlier, I do not own a copy of Kriegsmodell yet, but its #2 on the list. (#1 being the G29o).

rigid1
12-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Very nice rifle johnnymac

Bob in OHIO
12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Yepper... the stock is inlet (milled) under the rail so the mount/scope can be added with adequate clearance from the wood... A few pics of the ends where milled would be appreciated... Thx!

johnmac
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Yepper... the stock is inlet (milled) under the rail so the mount/scope can be added with adequate clearance from the wood... A few pics of the ends where milled would be appreciated... Thx!

alrighty..... here ya go.....if you want a different angle or something, just let me know....

also forum members..... I would like to publically thank mr. Bob here for being the gentleman who supplied me with this fine zf scope rig, one of the very few 100% complete ZF41 rigs that I have seen. Thanks again!

And Farb.... when I first posted this rifle You said that you "loved" it he he he. at that time did you realize that you had held it before?:behindsofa: ha ha!

Dave Roberts
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Johnmac Really Nice Example of a ZF41 Sharpshooter Rifle . Took a Good close look at the Rear Sight Base Rail this is the one Part I always look at Very closely to help tell if its legit
or not as all the reproduction bases I have seen none are correct . From what I can tell of Yours it is good . I would say from the Pics its an Original ZF41 Rifle . Best Regards

mjones
12-24-2010, 05:29 AM
johnmac,

Nice rig. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

gergnotwen
12-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Is the ZF41 mount numbered to the rifle and matched? Is the scope can numbered to the scope/rifle? I can't quite tell from the photos. Great piece!

johnmac
12-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Is the ZF41 mount numbered to the rifle and matched? Is the scope can numbered to the scope/rifle? I can't quite tell from the photos. Great piece!

sorry for the confusion...when I initially started the thread it was just about the rifle which is all matching to itself. The ZF41 rig I had acquired years earlier from mr. Bob, which is all matching to itself.

also thanks for the other positive comments fellas
And I tried to change them but for some reason last night before i went to sleep i posted doubles on the photos it was intended to be 4 different angles entirely.

Dave, Here's some better pic of the rear sight block as well as some more inlet.

mrfarb
12-24-2010, 11:35 AM
And Farb.... when I first posted this rifle You said that you "loved" it he he he. at that time did you realize that you had held it before?:behindsofa: ha ha!

Yeah, I never forget a pretty face. :facepalm:

gergnotwen
12-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Why did someone break off the screw head on the sight base??? Those bases are soldered on! Bubba strikes, but thank goodness he gave up before going further!!! Still a beautiful piece! Merry Christmas everybody!

johnmac
12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Why did someone break off the screw head on the sight base??? Those bases are soldered on! Bubba strikes, but thank goodness he gave up before going further!!! Still a beautiful piece! Merry Christmas everybody!

not sure about the why, but I can assure you that Bubba never had his hands on this one!

thanks and merry christmas to you and yours, and everyone else here and their families as well, happy holidays and best of luck to everyone on finding some great stuff in the new year!!!!!:happy0180:!

John