Third Party Press

Amberg 1916 Gew 98 mit S.s. Visier / aka 98m :)

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
In the spirit of sharing and drawing out discussion, here are photos of a nice Amberg 1916 dated Gew98 with the updated rear sight assembly. This one is a little later, with the base being made in 36-37 timeframe I guess.

This one came from the Ambrose Selker collection. It's about 90%+ overall, and came with an original sling. The stock has 2 unknown HzA eagles, but they look like either Magdeburg or Ingelstadt type. This one retains most of the original parts, ie the bolt assy, where most Weimar era guns have ground/renumbered bolts. Overall a really nice rifle, and a good example of the nice Gew98m.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 135
  • bblcode.jpg
    bblcode.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 130
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 132
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 132
  • fband.jpg
    fband.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 24
  • hza.jpg
    hza.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
  • hza1.jpg
    hza1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 21
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 136
  • rband.jpg
    rband.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 22
  • sbase.jpg
    sbase.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 24
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 133
  • stkproofs.jpg
    stkproofs.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 20
  • tguard.jpg
    tguard.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 17
That is a pretty unusual rifle, in that it is so original to its manufacture. Looks like it has most, if not all its original parts and that is uncommon in my experience. Most rifles that were in German hands a longtime (property marked, Simson reworks, rifles with early S/sS patrone r/s) seem to have undergone a lot of work, or subsequently sent to Spain (some of the coolest interwar b/r are Spanish jobs and essentially ruined)

You see any parts besides the rear band and the r/s assembly? Any markings on the takedown disc? How is the follower? Blued and notched to stop the bolt I assume but is it original otherwise?

I once owned a Kar98a from JPS (JohnS) and the damn thing was so new in appearance it was remarkable, never seen a rifle quite like it- but it was totally refurbished, scrubbed, blued and re-serialed to match across the board, - basically a new rifle using salvaged parts.

Many are like this, and those like this Amberg are not really all that commonly seen- matching and largely original (to mfg) parts. I bet this was one of the so-called “black rifles” that were hidden and pulled out once rearmament was decided upon (which did not happen overnight) - rearmament began slowly, with most expenditures spent to establish a foundation to a larger re-armament plan, massive industrial incentives for expansion and modernization (which happened just as aggressively in the US under FDR) and rifles were not a priority at first. These old hidden stores were pulled out and reworked to rearm the initial stage of re-armament.. basically a minimal force to ensure German security from her less than friendly neighbors, Poland and France in particular.

Follower is blued and notched, but appears to be the original one (last digit is an overstamp though). For all practical purposes the rifle is as built by Amberg.

I'm with you on this being one of the hidden guns- either that or it came from one of the occupied regions.

Military Rifle Journal
Back