Third Party Press

K-43 Bolt Group. Cracked.

Spetsnaz

I hate to make this my first post but I am running out of options.

So, here's the story. I traded a Blank Fire PPSH-41 and got a K-43 in return. I was excited. This is my holy grail gun and I have been itching for one to use in reenactments. I order the shooter kit (it did not have one installed) and when it came in I went about installing it. All the internal parts look great. Until this.

http://i.imgur.com/ceZK6Wl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4QF4T0n.jpg

It has 3 cracks. They do NOT go all the way through but they are bad enough. Either way it's obvious the owner before me shot this thing hot. I was devastated. I emailed Rob from Apfeltor (Hope I spelled that right. Lol) and it kicked me an email back with him saying his computer will be offline for a few days and he will be unable to read emails. I then tried gunbroker. Found the part I needed. Registered. Got banned for being a "Suspicious Account" and they are demanding a driver's license and a utility bill from me. Auction for the part ends tomorrow. =/

So. Help. Please. What are my options. What can I do. Does someone have an extra part they want to sell me? I want this baby to LIVE! :googlie

Thank you all. :)

If that's all the damage I think Rob can fix it.

A guy had worse damage on one found in Canada and Rob said he could fix it.

Yes, that is all the damage. It's just to the ACTION COVER. Not the whole bolt group. That was my bad.

Everything else looks great. The only part that has damage is what is pictured.

This is good news. Now, he just needs to fix his computer! ;)

Welcome to the club. Forget about the bolt housing on GB, way too expensive. The dust cover is already broken and you don't want someone else's worn springs either. Don't make panic purchases, take a deep breath and shop around. For example, this one sold on fleeceBay 2 weeks ago for $155 including intact dust cover:
$155.JPG
and this one for $232:
$232.JPG

In the meantime, Rob will fix your cracked housing. With a bolt housing cracked like this you should also closely inspect the back of the bolt itself and the back of the receiver (bulging?)

You said you want to use the rifle for reenactment? Has it already been converted for blank firing (threaded muzzle plug or similar)? If not, pause for a moment and consider: You can always turn a collectible semi-auto rifle into a reenactor rifle, but usually not the other way around, unless you started with a G/K43 equipped with a factory muzzle nut. In general, once you alter an all matching rifle, the collector value is gone. The now defunct GK43forum once had an article about how someone blew up a matching G43 by firing blanks. I remember Rob participating in the forensic analysis, pointing out how a series of mishaps resulted in turning the rifle into scrap metal.

If you want a proven, working reenactor G43 with shooter kit and muzzle plug, contact me. I would be more than happy to give you my reenactor G43 and rescue yours, plus some monetary incentive. Please let me know.

Welcome to the club. Forget about the bolt housing on GB, way too expensive. The dust cover is already broken and you don't want someone else's worn springs either. Don't make panic purchases, take a deep breath and shop around. For example, this one sold on fleeceBay 2 weeks ago for $155 including intact dust cover:
View attachment 74798
and this one for $232:
View attachment 74799

In the meantime, Rob will fix your cracked housing. With a bolt housing cracked like this you should also closely inspect the back of the bolt itself and the back of the receiver (bulging?)

You said you want to use the rifle for reenactment? Has it already been converted for blank firing (threaded muzzle plug or similar)? If not, pause for a moment and consider: You can always turn a collectible semi-auto rifle into a reenactor rifle, but usually not the other way around, unless you started with a G/K43 equipped with a factory muzzle nut. In general, once you alter an all matching rifle, the collector value is gone. The now defunct GK43forum once had an article about how someone blew up a matching G43 by firing blanks. I remember Rob participating in the forensic analysis, pointing out how a series of mishaps resulted in turning the rifle into scrap metal.

If you want a proven, working reenactor G43 with shooter kit and muzzle plug, contact me. I would be more than happy to give you my reenactor G43 and rescue yours, plus some monetary incentive. Please let me know.

All other parts are good. It's just the action cover.

The rifle is mis-matched and already adapted (sadly internal adapter) for blanks. The adapter is removable to fire with live ammo.

Though I am curious about your reenactor G-43.

Relax. Rob can fix it. And it's a mismatch, so you could go the replacement route as well.

Shooters kit and a little welding by Rob and you're good to go.

I have a extra bolt cover.

I have a extra bolt cover but as mentioned if this is just a shooter then welding would save you the money.

Robert

Military Rifle Journal
Back