Third Party Press

Request - I need examples of 98b's for the book

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Just as the title states, I'm looking for examples of 98b's for the chapter I'm doing on the Karabiner 98b for the upcoming book. Much of the infomation out there is spread between articles in the KCN, MRJ and great information in the book "Sturmgewehr". A local friend of mine that is a keen researcher has given me a large volume of information on the Weimar era including articles from years of collecting. I can't thank guys like him enough, as I will be the first to admit that I am not a hardcore 98b collector-along with my own research on the subject, I am assembling the information (with credit given to those who are the great researchers) and presenting it in a way collectors will enjoy.

I'm open to any and all examples you may have, including reworked versions. We have some lined up, but the more examples I can photograph the better!

Needed are:
1- S/28 examples
2- Dateds Simson examples
3- undated S marked (both Karab98 and Mod98 examples)
4- Reworked Gew98 examples

Our chapter on the 98b is a basic outline of the breed. We both have come to the conclusion that you could write a seperate book on the Kar98b and the Gew98m rifles, so we are looking for the most common type of 98b's observed.

I appreciate all of the assistance I have received to date, and Bruce and I look forward to this being a great start on telling the story of the Weimar period.

Mike Steves

Mike, I will try and get some material organized for you after this MRJ issue is done, - your best shot of getting enough trends data is getting MarkW & JoeS to help- they are the early pioneers on this topic and combined with material I can provide, I think you can get a fairly good overall picture of 98b production.

After Lud. Loewe and DWM, I was thinking of doing Simson next, skipping MO in my manufacturer series (as they are so well documented by others, and it would be difficult to do more than a trends study on observations, - certainly any original observations would be very difficult).

Of course, any thing printed in the MRJ is welcomed to be used by you for your project.

Thanks Paul. I've got some great folks on the list so far, and plan on including as many people as possible.

I may have some info on 98b's coming from Germany as well.

Military Rifle Journal
Back