Third Party Press

VC Schilling rework ser. 988g

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
This was the one Lange sight rifle I picked up from the Ambrose Selker collection. It appears to be a period rework, but there are no markings indicating such on the buttplate. The rifle has a barreled action from VCS, the balance of the gun is from another Gew98 serial numbered 5516 - bolt, stock, buttplate,sight,trigger, rear band all appear to be from the same gun. It may be a resto, but I would think finding a stock to match that bolt would be hard to do....it's got a decent bore in it too, I might shoot this one.

Anyway, wanted to post it for SimsonSuhl in regards to the barrel code and serial from VCS.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bblcode.jpg
    bblcode.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 276
  • bblserial.jpg
    bblserial.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 31
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 276
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 271
  • knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 273
  • receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 277
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 275
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 274
  • stockside.jpg
    stockside.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 274
Restoration? Are your saying the added '988' bolt and stock serials are not period? Maybe it is obvious, but I'm just not very familiar with these reworks.

It's period done (I’d drop the sling ring as its not period and looks tacky), and as Mike states probably reworked at some lower level repair shop. Repairs were done in an unbelievable array of low-level shops and facilities.

I have pics of two man operations in shacks, one in what looks like a freaking tikki hut! Some in little shops too, where you see a few banged up rifles or actions being taken into a small shop by a bunch old timers.

Unlike in WWII, period pics of WWI repairing rifles is very common and they really are a varied lot as to skill level. Of course rifles needing substantial work, battlefield salvage would probably be sent back to an ordnance depot or maybe even an artillery depot or arsenal for repair and salvage (Storz goes into this in some detail, especially as it relates to Bavaria - Ingolstadt & Amberg)

I like the rifle, especially now that I get to see it.. Ambrose reported most of his rifles, but he rarely sent good pics of them, never broke any down for BC's etc.. this rifle has the original JP Sauer (S&S) made barrel, and they did a lot of them- they seem to have been mostly a barrel maker.

VCS is a tough maker to find, about equal in rarity as Sauer, - CGH being the most observed of the consortium. I am of the opinion that the consortium shared serial numbers, possibly assigned blocks, but not independent serial numbering. As if they independently serialed their production would greatly exceed Storz figures, several times over, and they are far too scarce today to have been made in such numbers.

All the Suhl firms are hard to find, and it is hard to say which is rarest as there is no way to document production besides observations- Simson is higher than most in observations, but that might be just because I seek them out aggressively? By serial range Simson is by far the rarest, but as I think the consortium shared serialing ranges, so no way to tell for sure.

They are all damn tough to find really nice and matching though.. original factory matching in really nice condition would command a high price, - 98k ranges.

Thanks for the insight! I don't much about the WW1 reworks either Ryan, which is why I posted it. It looked good to me, I am just more familiar with the WW1 reworks that have depot markings on the buttplate- I didn't consider more "primitive" reworking "depots"...:facepalm:

As you say, I like this one, and for the price I got it for I'm happy- wish I would have bought more of his guns! I'm losing the sling ring too....

Yes, little did you know, Great Grand Daddy MikeS & BruceK had their own little tikki hunt behind the Somme?

I wish you had just picked up that 1928 Zn!

I didn't consider more "primitive" reworking "depots"...:facepalm:

As you say, I like this one, and for the price I got it for I'm happy- wish I would have bought more of his guns! I'm losing the sling ring too....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 91
Picture

I'm the guy on the left that just got laid by a gorgeous French babe and Mike - on the right
has that look of "someday....".

What are friends for.

Thanks for the pic Paul - very cool.

LOL, only thing missing from that picture is a bier.....wait, I see it on the ledge behind them. :laugh:

I like the picture too! The guy on the left (Bruce) looks very much like another armorer setting up a trench rifle setup, - one where the rifle is attached to a buttstock and sighting system that allows you to fire below the trench wall.

Hard to say for sure, as he has a mustache in the other pic, but either way, working in a tikki hut, drinking beer in pressed, clean uniforms beats the hell out of the trenches!

Bruce, - I thought that too, the resemblance is fairly close!

Military Rifle Journal
Back