Third Party Press

First model FG42 in action

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
If I owned this $150K+ Type E FG42, I don't think I'd have the courage to shoot it.

If I owned this $150K+ Type E FG42, I don't think I'd have the courage to shoot it.

If I had the resources to get one I would sure as Hell shoot it at least 2 or 3 times.:thumbsup:
Just like Larry did.

HDH.

If I could afford to buy it, I would damn sure shoot it. I really need one, right after my winning lottery ticket...:thumbsup:

KJ

FG 42 Blow Forward Prototype

Can't find a lot of info on this, but one of the initial FG 42 prototypes was of a blow forward design. Evidently, the Allies got ahold of it and tested/photographed it at Springfield Armory. Check out that stock!

fg.jpg

Sacrilege here, but I've never understood why the FG is so expensive. They are neat guns, but they really aren't that rare, not 300k rare. I guess it's the look and the whole paratrooper connection. Not sure I'd shoot one if I had it.

Sacrilege here, but I've never understood why the FG is so expensive. They are neat guns, but they really aren't that rare, not 300k rare. I guess it's the look and the whole paratrooper connection. Not sure I'd shoot one if I had it.

Just wondering, how many transferrable FG42s do you think there are in the United States? Or do we know how many there are?

It's gotta be close to a three digit number. 80-90 at least. A guy in Ohio had 8-9 at on point, as I recall. They may seem like a small number, but it really isn't. Compare this to the MK-108 (3-4 in private hands), the MG-FF (2), the Parabellum (less than ten). Privately owned Suomis are super rare, M-240s aren't common. Villar Perosas are hens teeth, German MP-3008's are just beyond rare.

It has to boil down to myth and lore at a certain point.

Check out the appendix to the latest edition of "Death From Above", the FG42's main reference book. Ken Keilholz has added a list of every known FG42, by serial number, and whether it is in a museum or in private hands. It's not a lot of guns. And if you email him nicely, he will tell you the history of your FG42, where it was captured, by who, and what happened after the war to your gun. I got mine last year, after a lot of angst as to "should I get this or not?", and its a really neat feature that takes a lot of the unknown out of the process.

Again, just for the type of questions here, "how many?", its really an eye opener...and if you ever get one, when you see the serial number of your particular rifle, it take a lot of the worry out of the transaction.

Just wondering, how many transferrable FG42s do you think there are in the United States? Or do we know how many there are?

During that last auction they said there were 26 registered And transferable FG-42s. I know there has to be someone who's dad brought one back from the war and its been sitting in their closet for 70 years.

During that last auction they said there were 26 registered And transferable FG-42s. I know there has to be someone who's dad brought one back from the war and its been sitting in their closet for 70 years.

I think that's the case for many MG bring backs that never got registered in the 1968 amnesty.

I never trust auction ads. There is a group photo from Ohio that showed like 12+ of them. I know a low key guy that has a Type I and Type II. One or two come up for auction every year. I can't imagine that I have observed half of these guns. A friend of mine has done a detailed serial number survey, I'll see what I can find out from him.

Military Rifle Journal
Back