Third Party Press

K98k cal 7.62 identification help

iacullopf

Hi. May I please get some help in identifying my most recent purchase? It looks like a K98k, but chambered in 7.62. There is a "Mauser" banner on the receiver. Both the receiver and barrel seem to be parkerized. No numbers match. The nose cap, sight hood and stock ring are stamped. Based on the condition of the receiver and barrel it appears to be unfired. Is this possible? Obviously, the rest of the parts have been recycled from something else. I have included representative photos to assist the great and powerful "mauser gurus". LOL Thanks in advance. Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It is an unusual marking variant, but not unheard of. I also have one among my several Isreali odd balls, like a G24(t).
Sarge

Israeli

In 1986 I examined the huge lot of Israeli Mausers that were imported by Armscorp in Maryland. I can tell you I examined hundreds of rifles and that if it was a Mauser made from 1900 to 1950's it was converted by the Israelis. I noted WW1, Interwar, commercial,WW2, and postwar FN, tgf marked Mausers... I even held a one with with what I thought was SWI XE. Thought it was a post war mark. Now I know it was SWJ XE...It is out there somewhere in a light colored Israeli stock....or converted to a rare "original German 98k."

In 1986 I examined the huge lot of Israeli Mausers that were imported by Armscorp in Maryland. I can tell you I examined hundreds of rifles and that if it was a Mauser made from 1900 to 1950's it was converted by the Israelis. I noted WW1, Interwar, commercial,WW2, and postwar FN, tgf marked Mausers... I even held a one with with what I thought was SWI XE. Thought it was a post war mark. Now I know it was SWJ XE...It is out there somewhere in a light colored Israeli stock....or converted to a rare "original German 98k."

Did they swap and mix and match parts too? The rifle pictured appears to have a bolt that is bent over similar to the ones on G33/40s instead of like a K98 bolt.

Military Rifle Journal
Back