Third Party Press

K98 Bolt Stuck in Receiver

rich81461

I inadvertently installed the bolt without attaching the ejector spring. Bolt inserted to just beyond the stripper clip guide then stopped. It won't move forward or back. I removed every part of the bolt possible (firing pin, safety, bolt sleeve) and bolt stop but it's still in there. Any ideas?
I'll let you know how this happened but I'm not making any excuses: The bolt had been separated from the rifle for a very long time and when I finally got around to putting it all back together I failed to make sure it was complete.

Is the Extractor still on? Something is not lining up with a passage. Take a long thin stick and make sure you have everything like the extractor or the bolt catch lined up with their passages. Don't try to force anything, you will only bend parts.

Are you sure you are pulling the ejector box lever outward to extract the bolt? You need to push down on the follower to get the bolt forward too. I know this is obvious...but just making sure you're not in a correct lock up.

Are you sure you are pulling the ejector box lever outward to extract the bolt? You need to push down on the follower to get the bolt forward too. I know this is obvious...but just making sure you're not in a correct lock up.

The entire box lever has been removed as has the box magazine. When inserting the bolt it felt like it went over a slight bump that prevented the bolt from moving forward or back.

Post up some pics of what you see.

I inadvertently installed the bolt without attaching the ejector spring. Bolt inserted to just beyond the stripper clip guide then stopped. It won't move forward or back. I removed every part of the bolt possible (firing pin, safety, bolt sleeve) and bolt stop but it's still in there. Any ideas?
I'll let you know how this happened but I'm not making any excuses: The bolt had been separated from the rifle for a very long time and when I finally got around to putting it all back together I failed to make sure it was complete.

Have you been successful getting the bolt out yet? Wondering if you discovered just what was holding it in, and what it took to remove it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back