Third Party Press

G41W Lower Barrel Band replacement

flareman

My G41 W,
Got a tip from a collector at the SOS show this year, in lieu of a high price for an original barrel
band or the purchase of a repro, ( $ 140.00), buy a repro G43 nosecap, cut the cap to
create the barrel band and reblue or refinish the band, the collector I talked to indicates
the completed "band" fits, better than having the band spring flailing about in the
wide open spaces, any comments? Flareman

My G41 W,
Got a tip from a collector at the SOS show this year, in lieu of a high price for an original barrel
band or the purchase of a repro, ( $ 140.00), buy a repro G43 nosecap, cut the cap to
create the barrel band and reblue or refinish the band, the collector I talked to indicates
the completed "band" fits, better than having the band spring flailing about in the
wide open spaces, any comments? Flareman

The width of a G43 nose cap cut down right at the step would be close to that of a G41 band. The circumference of a G43 and a G41 stock in the barrel band location differ by 1/4 inch. You would need to carefully tap the G43 barrel band with a copper hammer over a 1 inch steel pipe until it has been stretched in length by 1/4 inch. Then you need to contour it to fit the G41 stock. Not impossible but tedious.

The width of a G43 nose cap cut down right at the step would be close to that of a G41 band. The circumference of a G43 and a G41 stock in the barrel band location differ by 1/4 inch. You would need to carefully tap the G43 barrel band with a copper hammer over a 1 inch steel pipe until it has been stretched in length by 1/4 inch. Then you need to contour it to fit the G41 stock. Not impossible but tedious.

Thanks so much for the information Gunkraut, does not sound like the G43 nose cap is the way to
go, Flareman

Military Rifle Journal
Back