Third Party Press

SMG FG42 / FG-42 reloading

d dAY dOG

Hi Folks -

Has anyone done any reloading for their SMG FG42 yet? I have a few hundred rounds of brand new non-corrosive Federal and PPU ammo left to shoot still, but eventually I'm going to want to reload for this weapon to save some costs. I'm limited on 8mm mauser bullets here, but have managed to find a few hundred rounds of 170 grn. and 180 grn. spire pt. bullets. I also have a few bottles of win748 powder to use. If anyone has reloaded for this weapon and has some good data for me to use or a recommended round to build with what I have, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks !!

D-Day

Dog, you did mail in Rick's warranty card, didn't you? On the card it says no garbage ammo and no handloads or the warranty will be voided.
That said, I've tried a couple of my home made 150gr G43 rounds (Hornady SP with 44gr IMR4064) and my 185gr K98 rounds (REM CoreLokt with 41gr IMR4064) and my FG ate them without problems. Very mild recoil.

One thing I noticed, the FG beats the snot out of the brass. I've never seen bigger dents anywhere else, besides my wife's car that is. I don't know if the cases can still be resized and reloaded. They sure make ejected PTR44 and G43 cases look pristine.

What a beautiful rifle to own; Rick really did an outstanding job. Can't wait for the Type 1 to roll off his assembly line.

Last edited:
Dog, you did mail in Rick's warranty card, didn't you? On the card it says no garbage ammo and no handloads or the warranty will be voided.
That said, I've tried a couple of my home made 150gr G43 rounds (Hornady SP with 44gr IMR4064) and my 185gr K98 rounds (REM CoreLokt with 41gr IMR4064) and my FG ate them without problems. Very mild recoil.

One thing I noticed, the FG beats the snot out of the brass. I've never seen bigger dents anywhere else, besides my wife's car that is. I don't know if the cases can still be resized and reloaded. They sure make ejected PTR44 and G43 cases look pristine.

What a beautiful rifle to own; Rick really did an outstanding job. Can't wait for the Type 1 to roll off his assembly line.

I'm solid on any warranty issues - back or forth. Matter-of-fact, I sent the rifle back to Rick for some improvements last year. I'm past warranty time now and 500/600 rounds down the pipe so far with less than 5 FTE or FTF correctly - all which were ammo issues. I am quite confident that the weapon is solid. That being said I would, of course, keep any reloads I shoot within proper specs. Not much to find online about reloading for an FG42, so thank you very much for the data ! I'll keep it in mind when we start reloading for it.

BTW - my friend and I resized dented brass from Federal, PPU, Sellior & Bellot, Hotshot?, and one other manufacturer whom I can't recall - all new production ammo. The PPU brass almost looks like reloads to me to start with. The Federal "dented" the less of all types I've shot... would that imply it's new/er brass? Anyway, you are 110% on the cases. I'm cutting and fitting a plastic tube with cloth wrapped around it over the deflector in hopes of reducing or eliminating those dents. We'll see if the deflector still works the same though. I don't imagine the Wehrmacht cared much about collecting and reloading brass - so that wasn't a consideration in the design picture. LOL

This rifle is fast approaching the prime spot in my gun safe. My PTR44 is getting jealous. I am definitely in for a Type 1 if they come to fruition.

Thanks again GunKraut.

Doug

Factory fresh PPU Mauser ammo (FMJ BT, 198gr) after firing in my FG42 clone. Pretty rough on the brass... What's the thin line 1/2" above the head?

DSC09988.jpg

Hi GunKraut,
That line is where the brass is striking the sharp edge of the ejection port opening as it gets flipped out......

Rick

Hi Rick, thanks for chiming in. I see your FG42 became the centerfold of this month's edition of American Rifleman. I love the FG42 you built for me. When are you starting to accept down payment for a Type I? I already have a spare bayonet...

Hi Rick, thanks for chiming in. I see your FG42 became the centerfold of this month's edition of American Rifleman. I love the FG42 you built for me. When are you starting to accept down payment for a Type I? I already have a spare bayonet...

ditto... !!!!

There is a solution for dented up brass on ejection from the G43..

I dont know that it will work on the PTR44 or the SMG42 though...you will need to cut off the gas supply runs the ejection system.

If you put in the blank plug that comes with Apfeltors kit you will have to hand cycle the rounds and that virtually eliminates case damage...which is kinda necessary if you want your brass to live to fire many more times. I have been shooting mine in that configuration for quite sometime.

Dont know if that is an option that is available on the other 2 guns.....not owning one I am unsure if there is the ability to dial in your gas system.

Plus I guess it depends if you are more interested in wringing every bit of MOA out of your weapon, or shooting semi-auto.

JUst a thought.

Hi,
As much as I would like to start the list I just can't until it is up and running and one off to the ATF. I have had many that said "let me know when it is ready and I want one" but my reply is always the same. First notices go to buyers of the type I as without those sales the type I would not even be possible from us. When we get it up and going you guys will get first shot! We appreciate your business, your patience, and your understanding of an imperfect rifle. It is imperfect for sure but we still love the thing! Woohoo! lol

And cool is all I can say on the article.... It has brought in a few more to the list as well! Maybe one day when we get a little caught up the guys at the NRA's American Rifleman will due a test/eval on one - that would be cool! Again, thanks!

Rick & sons

The FG will cycle by hand by just turning off the gas - setting the pin between the two settings. And you will conserve ammo for sure as by the 15 - 20th round it's action/spring will have you huffin and puffin. : )

It is imperfect for sure but we still love the thing!

Rick, we don't want it to be perfect. It's just fine the way it is. How about granting us a peek at your Type I development so we have a good excuse for siphoning money from our children's college funds?

Rick, we don't want it to be perfect. It's just fine the way it is. How about granting us a peek at your Type I development so we have a good excuse for siphoning money from our children's college funds?

ditto ditto !!! :laugh: My kids will just have to eat top ramen and hot dogs for a few semesters.

Military Rifle Journal
Back