Third Party Press

LW MP-40 Pouches

tsmgguy

What do you think about the set of MP-40 pouches pictured? Authentic?

(I couldn't find anything wrong with them other than there appear to be no maker's codes or dates.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am no expert but I tend to believe these are reproductions. The condition of them as well as the stitching are what makes me believe this.
CaptMax

I have to say I wouldn't totally throw these under the bus.. If you compare every set to a textbook clg type you will miss out on a lot of originals...

I'll clarify my reason for thinking they're not original WW2 German manufacture. What I like; the cloth material, the iron hardware, craftsmanship on the cloth, and the leather stud reinforcements on the pouches. What I don't like is all of the other leather. It all appears hand-cut, oversized, aged, and overall homemade looking. It's almost as if the pouches are original and finished later by someone who's not a WW2 German factory. Even through the end of the war craftsmanship on equipment is crisp, clean, and straight. I know there are exceptions, and of course these very well may be original. I wouldn't put my money on this set. Enhanced post-war Czech in my opinion, using German materials. I'd like to post a few links to "original" pouches currently listed on ebay if the mods don't mind. Of course the seller doesn't clarify original or repro, but very convincing never the less.

Last edited:
Yes, post the links IB. The pouches are IMHO repros made to deceive. The material could have come from original 40s-50s canvas. The stitching, construction, and straps are wrong, as are the WaAs added to sexify the ruse. I have two sets of textbook known original pouches that these were apparently made to copy and will post those. The differences are obvious when side by side.

I think it would be great to post some "so called orig" examples to point out the high end fakes being pushed out. These are a very tricky subject at times.

I think it would be great to post some "so called orig" examples to point out the high end fakes being pushed out. These are a very tricky subject at times.

Not "so called" originals, but well accepted textbook, undisputed original set from this maker. I have two sets. These turn up from Norway, left by the Germans, as vet bringbacks, in condition from excellent/unissued, to field worn and raggedy. I spent years looking for a matched set, then within a year, ended up with two sets. This is one of them. I believe these to be the "pattern" for the repros posted here. Note that they got some of it right, but missed terribly on the details. Note the looser weave of the linen canvas body, the differences in stitching, the thread differences, rivets on the Y-strap rings (always present on originals from what I've seen), and construction differences. These were marked, but usually lightly with a white ink stamp on the back which came off easily. My other set has the remnants of those white stamps. The manufacturing methods for this maker are unique, and consistent. For example, note the "H" stitch on the front hold down straps. The faker tried to reproduce that, which is unique to these pouches, on the repro and didn't do it right.

Attachments

• Mp.40 Lw set front.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set front.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Mp.40 Lw set back.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set back.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Mp.40 Lw set bottom.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set bottom.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Mp.40 Lw set L back.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set L back.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Mp.40 Lw set R back.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set R back.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Mp.40 Lw set R front.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set R front.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Mp.40 Lw set R in.jpg
    Mp.40 Lw set R in.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 29
  • MP40 Lw set rivet heads.jpg
    MP40 Lw set rivet heads.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 27
  • MP40 Lw set strap stitching.jpg
    MP40 Lw set strap stitching.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I was the guy who bought these, for 199 British pounds. They were not identified as repros in the auction. To the seller's good credit, he quickly provided a refund when asked.

I have another set, identifed as repros this time. I believe were made by the same maker, whoever he was. The belt loop dimensions and construction details of the leather tabs appear to be identical. The quality is really very nice, and they make a great set for the range. Magazines fit perfectly. They were US$150 and worth the price, I think. They were made with vintage canvas and leather. Whoever it is that is making these is getting better and better!

These pouches will probably be relisted.

The best knockoffs are thought to be coming out of the Czech Republic. Certainly there is enough vintage canvas, sewing machines, tailors, linen thread, and fittings to make these in Eastern Europe for cheap. At $250+ there is significant profit in doing so.

Check out these repros of the clg pouches. They are good, but not made to deceive, and not the best I've seen:
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=166

Also, note that these are not necessarily "Luftwaffe" pouches, but the standard ordinance grey. They were used by all branches, though it looks cool to have them on a Luftwaffe ground unit uniform setup. The green, grey, tan, and leather pouches were used by all branches of German ground troops.

I was the guy who bought these, for 199 British pounds. They were not identified as repros in the auction. To the seller's good credit, he quickly provided a refund when asked.

I have another set, identifed as repros this time. I believe were made by the same maker, whoever he was. The belt loop dimensions and construction details of the leather tabs appear to be identical. The quality is really very nice, and they make a great set for the range. Magazines fit perfectly. They were US$150 and worth the price, I think. They were made with vintage canvas and leather. Whoever it is that is making these is getting better and better!

These pouches will probably be relisted.

Post up the identified repros too TSMG, that would help.

Will do, Ham.

Here's another auction for a set of pouches, linked below.

I have a set identical to these, purchased from a seller in England a few years back for about US$75. He clearly identified them as repros. They have no markings and are very well made of old canvas and leather. They really have that old field gear smell to them. Magazines fit perfectly. I've had guys look at this set and say that these pouches are just too nice to be used for general range work, as they do not initially believe that they're repros.

These would be much more convincing if the leather did not have the rough side out. Again, the stitching is not at all correct. The seller below does not identify these as repros.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-MP40...635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e4c1383b

Last edited:
Here is another set of high end MP-40 magazine pouch reproductions, in the collection. They have WaA and RBN stamps, as well as worn MP-38 U. 40 markings. They are very well made!

The WaA stamps read 623, a number most commonly associated with Steyr firearms production. The RBN number is 0/0378/0007. Collectors have noticed that whoever made these pouches used the same stamps on a variety of repro German WWII field gear.

The magazines are Steyr made originals, stamped 98E 41.

Attachments

• MVC-082S.JPG
    MVC-082S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 24
  • MVC-083S.JPG
    MVC-083S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 25
  • MVC-084S.JPG
    MVC-084S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
  • MVC-085S.JPG
    MVC-085S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 24
  • MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 24
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 20
  • MVC-088S.JPG
    MVC-088S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-089S.JPG
    MVC-089S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-090S.JPG
    MVC-090S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-091S.JPG
    MVC-091S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 23
The knockoffs are invariably of the clg pouches, as those are the easiest to knock off, however, they don't look like the clg pouches completely. They look like hybrids between clg pouches and other pouches. Once you've seen enough originals the fakes stand out.

Will do, Ham.

Here's another auction for a set of pouches, linked below.

I have a set identical to these, purchased from a seller in England a few years back for about US$75. He clearly identified them as repros. They have no markings and are very well made of old canvas and leather. They really have that old field gear smell to them. Magazines fit perfectly. I've had guys look at this set and say that these pouches are just too nice to be used for general range work, as they do not initially believe that they're repros.

These would be much more convincing if the leather did not have the rough side out. Again, the stitching is not at all correct. The seller below does not identify these as repros.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-MP40...635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e4c1383b

$202.50, with four hours left to run.

Meant to deceive in my opinion. Made to look original at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-WWII...aultDomain_0&hash=item2ed25269f3#ht_63wt_1312

These too are meant to appear original. Dead give away here is they used Czech webbing on the d-rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-WWII...faultDomain_0&hash=item2ed27a148c#ht_82wt_922

I believe both of these items came from ebay seller vit-zemanek.

He sells his items honestly. I've bought several items for reenacting from him. What the end user does with his product is anybody's guess. The good news about the bulk of his repro stuff is he uses Czech materials.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back