Third Party Press

ZG 1229 Vampir somewhere?

Nigromontanus

I have been in the Wehrtechnische Sammlung Koblenz last week to make pics of the Vampir nightsight they have there, which is incomplete and from a lake, but it seems to be the only one remaining on the continent. The one pictured in the popular British report from 1945 has been destroyed after making experiments with it. I know there is at least one in a private collection in the USA. Does anyone of you have one or knows where one is?

I would love to see that scope in person someday.

Regarding any remaining example of the elusive "Unicorn" ZG 1229, rumor has it one exists in private hands but very little info can be found to support it's existence. If privately owned, they are not talking.

I have heard upwards of 310 units were produced and if true, you would think a surviving example would be known.

Attachments

• zg1229 scope.jpg
    zg1229 scope.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 362
Problems is that it seems that most of them were dumped in a lake in 1945. I even know the lake. I have 4 accessory boxes to ZG 1229 of about 40 which were found on a spot in 80-90m deep plus a Waffenmeisterbox with ZG1229 painted on. Will show them in my book.

A battery box was also down there but was mistaken as a gasmask can.

Very cool that you have those! :thumbsup:

Why and how they would dump these units in a lake is a shame.

Look forward to your book.

jhv 41, where did you get that picture? Do you any others that show the mount better? That is quite a G/K43-MP44 hybrid mount. Interesting.

jhv 41, where did you get that picture? Do you any others that show the mount better? That is quite a G/K43-MP44 hybrid mount. Interesting.

That is the only pic I have and I found it on the web sometime ago. The pic was listed as showing the Vampir sight that is on display at the museum in Koblenz.

Maybe Nigromontanus can post some better pic's of it from his recent visit to this museum.

I've attached a pdf of the 1945 British technical report on German Infra-Red devices captured and reviewed at the war's end.

If you have seen the pic's of the Brit holding a Vampir, I believe this is the report and tests for those photo's.

The corresponding report's photo exhibits are too large to post. They show some additional details on the scope, infra-red transmitter and power supplies for rifles. You can access it here:

http://www.cdvandt.org/BIOS-misc-66-photos.pdf

Attachments

• BIOS.pdf
    380.7 KB · Views: 116
Nigromontanus what will be the name of your book and when will it be possible to buy it? Great photos of the ZG1229 boxes by the way!

StG 44 accessories or sth like that will be most likely the name. I have all the material needed (even though there is always sth new emerging), but I lack a bit the self-discipline to resume work on the text. I have finished the magazine part and am stuck with the pouches. However, I will finish the text this year. I do not know how consuming the design will be. I will make a notification in the forum when it is ready.

Here is another sneak preview. Pics belong to the magazine section of the book, because produced by a certain magazine producer. Parts were made in April 45; AFAIK none of the receivers produced there were ever assembled anywhere because of capitulation.

Attachments

• IMG_8969.jpg
    IMG_8969.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 211
StG 44 accessories or sth like that will be most likely the name. I have all the material needed (even though there is always sth new emerging), but I lack a bit the self-discipline to resume work on the text. I have finished the magazine part and am stuck with the pouches. However, I will finish the text this year. I do not know how consuming the design will be. I will make a notification in the forum when it is ready.

Here is another sneak preview. Pics belong to the magazine section of the book, because produced by a certain magazine producer. Parts were made in April 45; AFAIK none of the receivers produced there were ever assembled anywhere because of capitulation.

Thank you for posting the vampire boxes and the unfinished reciever above, shame you did not come across a box of those,

I along with many others look forward to your finish product

Jack

That being said, I must add that the font of the StG 44 marked part is different from mine and that Steyr AFAIK did not make any guns with StG 44 stamp. So this item was always a kind of riddle to me. It would be possible to compare with other StG 44 stamps, but I did not indulge into that so far, because I am an accessories maniac. Guns I consider rather a burden. It is not a fxo StG 44 stamp. However, I will find out. On the long run I want to make a book on the gun too, but I think if the accessories book is out it will be more easily possible to gain access to most museums. However, the part is proof of the possibility that Steyr was changing the stamp, but capitulation came before. However, all unfinished housings I know from Steyr area have MP44 stamp.

My favorite thread in a long time - great pics, thank you.

Also interesting that Nigromontanus' receiver pic has not had lock channel area folded, but does have a clear cocking slot.
Where the Austrian picture has the lock channel tabs folded, but has not had the cocking slot cleared.

So, there could have been a slightly different production process, too.

It seems as the designation was stamped before the magazine / receiver piece was bent. Was it stamped by hand? as we have both MP45 and one Steyr made StG44.
Claus

Zamfir Scope

I think there was one in the Aberdeen collection which is now sitting in cases at Ft. Lee, VA. I was in the museum in Aberdeen about seven or eight years ago. I think i remember one on the first floor of the main display area.

Michaelangelo

Military Rifle Journal
Back