Third Party Press

I got me a 98M!

plymouthmauser

I got me a 98M; and its a V. Chr. Schilling to boot!

This is my first post on this forum; but I am a senior member on GunBoards with the same name, and 'majspud' on the NES forum.

I just won a 1916 Gew98 M conversion on GB. 1916, RARE V. Chr. Schilling, 1920 over date, bolt MM less front band, K date conversion, VG bore. Probable entwined BS (Bahnschutz) on stock.

Much more to follow when I get it.

pix804205582.jpg

pix045898379.jpg

pix952835966.jpg

pix427428104.jpg

PM

Last edited:
Very nice! We just had a thread on the intertwined BS marking- wonder if yours has it on the barrel too?

I did read that thread. It seems I only have the stock marking; I'll be looking REAL close when it comes. Mine almost seems cruder as in a regional mark (Bahnschutz) and not a Berlin/Spandau rework.

PM

Congratulations! I saw that auction, labeled a 1915 instead of 16. Nice looking weapon, I've always had a soft spot for Schillings.

Agreed.. got excited when I saw "1915" as that would be rare! Still VCS is a tough maker generally, as are all the Suhl firms.

I think this is a intertwined KS rather than BS but better pics would tell? The KS markings (such as we call them- who the hell knows what they really are) are often time muddled and hard to tell exactly what we are dealing with.

Interwar research is the least understood period of German rifle collecting. It is also the most secretive time, and though you read of pre-WWI complaints of German reluctance to allow foreign (US) visitors to factories, in the 1927-1930's period they are far more stringent.

Recently while working on my article on machine tool companies, I came across a lengthy piece on how German firms were not reciprocating on visitation and factory tours with American machine tool company executives. It went on how American firms were very generous with such open tours (as Ludwig Loewe would gladly have confirmed- their company literature proudly state their use of the American system, and often entertained American executives at fancy dinner parties etc..) towards Germans - the German replies were denial that such was the case and that most German firms welcomed their American friends!

Anyway, this was in 1914 as I recall, shortly before the war and even then you could read a certain anti-German taint to much of the professional magazines of the period (my impression anyway)

Congratulations! I saw that auction, labeled a 1915 instead of 16. Nice looking weapon, I've always had a soft spot for Schillings.

98m

Hey P.M. glad to see you finally grabbed a 98m. It looks like a good one. It was a great price as well.. As you can see Mr.farb ended up with most of mine..:facepalm:

Here is a rotated and enlarged auction photo. I'll take a better one when the rifle gets here.

PM

pix952835966-1.jpg

It does look more like 'KS' than 'BS'.

Last edited:
Hey P.M. glad to see you finally grabbed a 98m. It looks like a good one. It was a great price as well.. As you can see Mr.farb ended up with most of mine..:facepalm:

What happened to change your mind -99? In June you wouldn't part with any of them to me...:)

PM

Tim, you didn't twist Wayne's arm hard enough - it's amazing how easy he is to deal with when you have persuasive measures..... green, folding varieties. :laugh:

98m's

What happened to change your mind -99? In June you wouldn't part with any of them to me...:)

PM
nothing personal. I offered you one of them. Right when you had no $$$ and you had bought the bsw from mowzerlover...Now you have one and all is right in the world..:thumbsup:
Yes, I'm quite fond of aussie pounds converted to u.s. $$$$:biggrin1:
Alas, I have one left. A 1917 DWM with an Erma marked barrel. One of these days I'll post some photos..

Military Rifle Journal
Back