Third Party Press

Greetings

Hello

this is a bit weird for me, I have done message boards for years but the reason I have registered here is because my father died last year. He had a collection of mausers. I am at a loss as to how to track down the people who might have known him and as luck would have it, he had one of his guns photographed and published in the Karabiner 98k volume one. So I thought perhaps he had been a member here.

His screen name or email was typically MauserJohn. But I did not find him on the members list so I thought I might register since maybe you purge inactive members.

at any rate, he loved his guns and I just wanted to connect with people who might appreciate what he left me or be able to help me with questions. his collection was ... extensive. Though many are diamonds in the rough, they all have stories I am sure.

here is a picture of his last purchase/completion before he died. He danced around the living room when he got the last part he was looking for for it. its not a mauser, but I will never forget how that one little part made him soooo happy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/lymiryc/open%20season/048_zps83f41f50.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I'm one of the co authors of the book (Mike Steves). If you father had a rifle in the book, let me know which one it was so I can place a face with it. We had a lot of contributions, some at shows, either Bruce or I will remember him.

He left you quite a collection!!!

oh its only a mess because i had to have them moved ... they were originally arranged by country of production and some other factors only my father knew.

It is so overwhelming I truly look forward to learning enough to be dangerous. I should also add he tried to tell me ... and I know a little bit but you know .. GIRL with other things going on, if I could go back and take notes and cherish every moment I would. My dad was an amazing man. when he loved something he LOVED it lol

this is the one that was in the book

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/lymiryc/photo_zps81c57596.jpg

I will get a better set of pics of it this weekend =) my phone camera sucked at the time i took this or you can check out the book on page 456-457 those are the photo's my dad took. =)

Last edited:
What a nice collection and condolences on the loss of your dad. Many collections go to family members who probably will never comprehend the blood, sweat and tears your dad put into this hobby for years.

I'm sure he wanted this collection to go to someone who could appreciate that and it sounds like you want to learn about this collection and will probably find the same enjoyment in learning the history of these rifles as your dad had years ago. Warning - this hobby can be addictive!

In any event, you are dealing with a great group of knowledgable people on this forum as your dad no doubt knew in sharing his rifle with Mike & Bruce for use in the book.

Glad you took the step to join.

That sir, is a neat problem to have. It could take a year to inspect, clean, oil and categorize such a collection. Therapeutic certainly as well. You are a lucky man, in several ways!

What a nice collection and condolences on the loss of your dad. Many collections go to family members who probably will never comprehend the blood, sweat and tears your dad put into this hobby for years.

I'm sure he wanted this collection to go to someone who could appreciate that and it sounds like you want to learn about this collection and will probably find the same enjoyment in learning the history of these rifles as your dad had years ago. Warning - this hobby can be addictive!

I think this collection can not be any more addictive.
Freddy

mauserdawn your father had good taste! I am sorry for your loss. I'm proud fit to bust about my father, a retired US Navy Submarine Captain but he did not own firearms of any kind. Oh well I love him anyways.
If I might make a suggestion your last photo need more detail of the markings on the rifle, to help identify.

Dave Dude

I have that one identified =) its in the text book in the pic... its the exact rifle on that page lol.

I will have more though, soon I will try to get better pics (not use my phone) in the future.

Again, thank you ! I appreciate any help or comments at all.

My dad loved this stuff... its pretty intimidating for me though =)

Military Rifle Journal
Back