Third Party Press

bnz.41 MP40

8x57mauser

Not functional as the receiver has been cut but makes a nice display. Bought this from Rob here on the forum. numbers matching bnz.41, looks to have seen some heavy use while in service. bore is like new. came with 4 mags, 40, 41, 42, and 44 dated. I found the carry case online for $25, its a repro and factory seconds so it was cheap, they had made the holes for the mag pouch straps in the wrong place. it was an easy fix with a leather punch and a razor blade. all in all quite happy with it and it fills a void in my collection and knocks something of my WWII German collecting bucket list.

lots of pictures.

Last edited:
second batch, i think i got everything though i might have missed some numbered parts as I dont know what all should be numbered on a bnz 41

Last edited:
Great that it is all matching - very nice indeed -
Nice pictures thank you -
The rear sight weld looks a bit rough, but obviously original -
Interesting - we worked so hard on mine to make it look clean.

Thanks for posting - Pit

Neat. I'd say rear sight weld is redone. They weren't welded on, they are soldered on like a 98k rear sight. At least all I have seen were. But they call off easy...

The rear sight is the original for the gun but as mrfarb said, it would have been soldered not welded. I don't think the rear part of the receiver is original to the gun. The two halves together seem slightly longer than what the receiver should be. Does anyone have the exact measurement from the back of the receiver tube to where the sling bar is not including the sling bar?

Also does anyone have any close ups on how the charging handle attaches to the bolt? What it pressed in? Soldered in?

I'm real happy with it, makes a nice display with my collection of german gear.

The handle presses in to the bolt itself, but I knocked mine off shooting it, it's pretty common too. In those cases guys usually weld the handle to the bolt. If I get a chance I'll dig mine out and measure it for you.

The handle presses in to the bolt itself, but I knocked mine off shooting it, it's pretty common too. In those cases guys usually weld the handle to the bolt. If I get a chance I'll dig mine out and measure it for you.

Thanks! You wouldn't also happen to have a picture of the repair to your bolt handle by any chance do you?

I might, but I sold that parts kit off and bought a matching kit (mines a tube gun).

Not a problem, I assume the weld is done from the inside of the bolt then ground flush so the firing pin and buffer can fit in the bolt.

On a slightly off topic, I've seen the term tube gun used but what exactly is that in regards to an mp40? I looked it up but didn't find anything.

Not a problem, I assume the weld is done from the inside of the bolt then ground flush so the firing pin and buffer can fit in the bolt.

On a slightly off topic, I've seen the term tube gun used but what exactly is that in regards to an mp40? I looked it up but didn't find anything.

Tube guns - these are postwar manufactured receiver tubes. Mine's made by Erb - there are other makers (Wilson is another big maker). Basically the receiver (or tube) is the registered part. Imagine taking an 80% receiver dummy tube and completing it. Prior to 1986 these tubes could be registered as transferrables. I guess I should explain that - any MG registered before the 1968 amnesty is a C&R, anything after that is a transferrable. So, even original receivers could be stamped with a makers name and registered, up to 1986. Some guys made new tubes and registered them, aka tube guns.

On my bolt handle I just welded it on the outside, in front and behind within the bolt guide. I had to grind the front weld down nearly all the way down in the front so it would close. You could weld it from the inside as well and grind it, but I think it might be difficult to get in there and do a good job.

Tube guns - these are postwar manufactured receiver tubes. Mine's made by Erb - there are other makers (Wilson is another big maker). Basically the receiver (or tube) is the registered part. Imagine taking an 80% receiver dummy tube and completing it. Prior to 1986 these tubes could be registered as transferrables. I guess I should explain that - any MG registered before the 1968 amnesty is a C&R, anything after that is a transferrable. So, even original receivers could be stamped with a makers name and registered, up to 1986. Some guys made new tubes and registered them, aka tube guns.

Thats what I was thinking just wasnt sure. So its basically no different than an original complete gun other than it has a new receiver?

I got a local company that is going to laser weld the charging handle for me from the inside $75

I own bnz 41 MP-40 2979f, identical to this one in every way. Grinding inside of the bolt proves that it was originall produced with the hook type bolt handle, and was later converted to the push-pull safety that you see here. The end of the safety is WaA/37 marked; all other WaA stamps are 815 or 623.

The biggest difference between these two guns is that one got registered during the '68 amnesty while the other (regretably) did not.

Military Rifle Journal
Back