Third Party Press

Short Oiler?

sherbs

I was going through a incomplete 98k cleaning kit and in it was a dark bakelite oiler. The oiler did not look right, it ended up being short and fit in the butt of my K43. Did the Germans make a short plastic oiler for the 43's butts?

Yes, the butt well as designed was to shallow for the standard K98 oiler, so they produced special short oilers to fit.

Later G/Ks have deeper wells and will fit a a standard oiler.

I have a ac 45 "c" block gun that still has the shallow well. Maybe it has a stock that was rejected earlier then salvaged. But did they make them out of plastic? Or were the short oilers all metal. Mine appears to be the same as my other plastic ones only a bit shorter.

Yes, the butt well as designed was to shallow for the standard K98 oiler, so they produced special short oilers to fit.

Later G/Ks have deeper wells and will fit a a standard oiler.

I think this may be true, but Im thinking it very well maybe just variations in oiler productioin is all....Ive never studied or compared them though

I have a ac 45 "c" block gun that still has the shallow well. Maybe it has a stock that was rejected earlier then salvaged. But did they make them out of plastic? Or were the short oilers all metal. Mine appears to be the same as my other plastic ones only a bit shorter.

The plastic short oilers are pretty common. There were sheet metal versions produced late, but they are hard to come by.

I think this may be true, but Im thinking it very well maybe just variations in oiler productioin is all....Ive never studied or compared them though

That would make sense, but they are noticeably shorter than a standard oiler. I can't think of a reason why the Germans would not have simply drilled the stock deeper to begin with. I'll have to dig out my copy of HG and see what if anything Weaver says.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back