Third Party Press

B17 Vet story..

Turbo Archie

Another member posted this on one of my turbo sites and said it was ok to post here. I thought some of you guys might appreciate the story.

Then another member posted the Pearl Harbor story…

“In honor of my grandfather on Dec 7th.... “
I was a little hesitant to post this at first. I know that most of you prefer the "cliff notes". However, for those that have and do serve, there are no shortcuts. And likewise to properly set the tone of what I am sharing here, I must ramble a little.

My grandfather did not share many details about the "big one" with me. Like so many others who enlisted, he seemed to take the attitude that they were just doing what had to be done. It was not for future glory but rather for doing their best to preserve this country's values for future generations. My grandfather has been gone for six years now and the older I get, the more I wish I had more time with his insight. Unfortunately his Alzheimer's condition seemed to take him away from us even long before then. As President Reagan said it best, it was a "long goodbye". While helping my grandmother clean out the garage a few months ago I was taken back by the amount of his personal belongings that had collected years of dust upon them. Many things seemed as if they had not been picked up or moved since long before his passing. In doing so, I discovered a treasure trove of insight to his life that I had long been missing. Thankfully, with proper storage I will be able to save most of what I have found from further deterioration.

Most of the content that you find about WWII describes the carnage and destruction. This deteriorating memo I found in my grandfather's belongings describes in detail a glimpse into another side of the war front not so frequently covered. It may not be the most eloquent document; but, I feel that its insight is more important to share on this "day of infamy".

I have found so many items of history, military significance and interest that I am not sure I could never photograph or scan them all. I found his worn and tattered service hat and can only hope that the rest of his uniform will be found to preserve as well. I wish there was a way to tell how much of the wear was from combat duty and how much was caused by normal deterioration. Unfortunately, I found out that his service issued Colt 1911 was sold by him sometime back in the 60's. I already knew that he was a B-17 pilot; but, I never knew the extent of his missions over Europe from his perspective until now. I'll keep posting items here as time goes by for as long as everyone remains interested.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In an old cigar box, I found many different small items including these very small photos mounted on material similar to what you would find being used for baseball cards. Any input as to what their use, context or purpose might have been would be helpful. Each of them is about half the size of a credit card.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Different member-
My wifes father was actually there that fateful morning as was her grandfather. He passed away a few years back. I did manage to do a short interview with her Dad about that experience that fateful Dec 7th Sunday morning.
What his wife did pass down to me was I have a piece of one of the actual Japanese planes that caused all that carnage.
Part of the interview I did with some still photos is on face book not sure how to explain how to find it.

Back then cameras and collecting artifacts was not permitted and or not done. Things are far different today with cell cameras and the internet. Most Veterans from that time frame never really discuss their part in the war. I had a close friend that it wasn't until years later that he told me he was a tail gunner and did the required 20 missions out of England. I have the complete log of the missions he did, also his little black book with illustrations so he knew what the enemy planes looked like.

Had another friend also now gone...that was part of one team that came upon one of the concentration camps that Hitler instigated.....for many of us today its hard to invision that mankind can be so cruel. towards millions on people.

Just a quick update my buddy Bill will post a photo tonite of the piece of one of the few Japanese planes they managed to shoot down that fateful December 7th morning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• scan0013[1].jpg
    scan0013[1].jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 68
  • scan0014-2[1].jpg
    scan0014-2[1].jpg
    83 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN5486[1].jpg
    DSCN5486[1].jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 67