Third Party Press

g43 book good?

trinxet

I found this manual for the G43, Is good ?

Attachments

• P1020542.jpg
    P1020542.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 82
  • P1020543.jpg
    P1020543.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 70
  • P1020544.jpg
    P1020544.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P1020545.jpg
    P1020545.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 67
  • P1020546.jpg
    P1020546.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 55
  • P1020547.jpg
    P1020547.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1020548.jpg
    P1020548.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 49
  • P1020549.jpg
    P1020549.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 41
Hmmmm, this one looks too nice. That should NOT be a deterrent, but all of them that I have, have been rolled to one degree or another. There's no roll on this anywhere. So how did that happen? It even looks like the staple isn't at all rusted-which again, should not be a main factor in determining these-just odd.

The main way to tell is the thin paper that these were printed on. It's by feel and, sometimes look. It's just too hard for me to tell this one.

I posed a question like this a while back and learned quite a bit from that thread as our advanced friends here helped me. Do a search for that thread and it will help you greatly as there's comparisons on that thread for you to see better.

All above statements are correct. Certain printing on cover is dead give away as fake. Pages are too thick. I picked up a known repro from Poland afew years ago just to compare to originals. Sorry to say your manual is very similar to my repro copy.

A sure fire way to tell a reprint

Look at pages 2 & 3 with the photographs of the manual in question. Notice that there is an odd checked pattern to what printers call the "halftone" of the original photos. When a photograph is converted to something that can be printed by an offset lithography printer it must be changed to a series of dots which is called a halftone in printers lingo. These are nothing more than a series of dots produced by the halftone screen. Anytime someone copies a photograph that has already been run through a halftone screen you get a Moire pattern which is nearly unavoidable. See photo illustrating this phenomenon. Antime you see this pattern in a photograph it is clearly a reproduction. If you see this in photos in manuals, run don't walk!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.57.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.57.41 PM.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 117
Look at pages 2 & 3 with the photographs of the manual in question. Notice that there is an odd checked pattern to what printers call the "halftone" of the original photos. When a photograph is converted to something that can be printed by an offset lithography printer it must be changed to a series of dots which is called a halftone in printers lingo. These are nothing more than a series of dots produced by the halftone screen. Anytime someone copies a photograph that has already been run through a halftone screen you get a Moire pattern which is nearly unavoidable. See photo illustrating this phenomenon. Antime you see this pattern in a photograph it is clearly a reproduction. If you see this in photos in manuals, run don't walk!

attachment.php

Thanks for that information. That is a really helpful tool when looking at these. Would you be willing to post pictures of a original and fake picture out of one of these books?

Sure, I'll get out the exact version and post pics to compare from tomorrow. Go to the machine gun section of the forum and there is a sticky of my StG44 manual that might help compare what to look for in a real book.

Photo Page Examples From K43 Manual D 1865/2

Here's a scan of four pages of one of my best copies of the D 1865/2 manual for the K43. Compare the background on the photos and note the lack of the Moire pattern. This is from the first printing of this manual, a second printing was done during later production.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 4-5.jpg
    4-5.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 49
Gerg,

Thanks for breaking into your vault to post some original pics (again). These are always a benefit to forum members due to reprints/fakers and I am sure appreciated by all.

Also, kudo's to you for modifying your profile. while it may be a baby step, I see that Obama is not your guy anymore. :thumbsup:

Regards,

JHV

Military Rifle Journal
Back