Third Party Press

Polish rebuilt/Nazi (re)capture modified Gew.98 questions

Pat

Staff member
Does anyone know of any primary and secondary sources that cover the Polish-acquired Gewehr 98's that were subsequently captured by the Nazis? I'm particularly interested in what kinds of marks and additional work these might have received in the interwar period in Poland, like the 'K' prefixes on barrel serial numbers and the sideways stamped Polish eagle on the receiver. This is brand new territory for me, so there's almost nothing that would be too elementary.

I also have a question about a marking on the underside of a Gewehr 98 receiver of the type described in the first sentence of the above paragraph. This is a small, circular stamp with a central circle surrounded by eight wedge-shapes. It has the appearance of a star or sunburst, among other things, but that of course is only by way of description. Are these found on other Gewehr 98's? Are they only found on certain types/in certain periods? Anyone ever seen these? Please refer to the attached pictures.

Thanks in advance for your help-
Pat

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 87
Great rifle, Farb!
The one in question has both of those attributes, but remains in modified G.98 configuration.

Any idea on the small stamp?
Pat

Rob (BigD) owns Amberg/17 Polish used G98 with such a marking.

Unfortunately, too few Gewehr98's that were pressed into Polish service show this area to know how common it is, this star or gear marking is not a common marking imo among German Gewehr98's, at least I do not recall seeing such a marking before. Typically, the bottom flat markings are not a good identifier for most makers (inconsistent patterns), even when there is a pattern among several rifles from the same maker/date, usually you can find another lacking the common marking.

I have recorded a good number of Polish rifles over the years, probably 25-30 German G98 or 98a pressed into Polish service, on many of the rifles determining what is German pre-Polish and post-Polish can be difficult (many have stray marks and numbers). But usually the Polish markings on the receiver are as you say, a "K" prefix (can be in front of the FP but most often to the right and next to the serial, - the Triangle "Z" rifles often have it to the far right on the receiver, some, a very few, lack it also); the RR has the Polish FP usually, probably when re-barreled, as the FP lines up with the one on the barrel too when a Polish barrel, on a few the Polish FP is on the left side, next to the German FP. Generally the ones with the FB Radom upside down triangle are the most consistent, the anomalies usually occur with the triangle "Z" rifles.

Anyway, unfortunately, sellers and posters of Polish used German rifles generally do not take a lot of good pictures of their rifles, worse most Polish used German rifles are either train wrecks or heavily reworked by the Germans when they recovered them in 1939. You are correct that very little is written on Polish rifles, the MRJ had two decent articles on Polish rifles, I believe both written by Poles, they give the basics, but very little details on the rifles themselves, - as far as i have seen, there is no really organized group of collectors on Polish rifles, and if there is a knowledgeable collector group out these they are not into making information they have collected widely available.

Military Rifle Journal
Back