Third Party Press

MP40 fxo 41

jpstout

To atone for the k43 stinker I posted a few days ago, I wanted to post another piece in my collection while I had it out and share. I obtained this MP40 a few years ago from a friend (Col. ret.) who was a fighter pilot in the 318th FS, 325th FG in WWII, the Checker Tails! He flew the P-40 and the P-51, if I recall. He retrieved this MP40 & accessories, along with another gun, etc and threw them in a bag when he returned stateside. Fearing an Art. 15, he was going to throw them over the rail into the sea, but fortunately (for me), he got severely seasick and remained in the hold for the 2 week boat ride. Registered and papered in 1946, I can say I know where this gun has been since 1945. All matching with Xception of the muzzle nut:sorry:. Condition is what it is and pretty much as he found it during the war. Not a warehouse find. regards, pat

Attachments

• DSC03389.jpg
    DSC03389.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC03385.jpg
    DSC03385.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC03392.jpg
    DSC03392.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC03389 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC03389 - Version 2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 136
Far better than any mint depot find or post-war reissue with reblue, that is how they should look! Great piece :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for posting!

You can easily determine whether or not your gun was originally produced with the bolt handle with sliding safety. Look at the inside of the bolt. If the handle has been crimped into position, it's original. If you see evidence of welding and grinding (smoothing) then the handle was retrofitted later. Few MP-40s with hook-type bolt handles escaped this process.

Wear wise, this one looks identical to my BNZ '41 all matching example. Mine was captured "at Normandy" (according to the vet's widow). He was an officer, and brought it home to the US in his personal baggage. I have no other details than those. Fortunately, he registered it during the '68 amnesty. The finish is either gone or splotchy everywhere. The edges are somewhat worn. Internally, it's minty and the bore is perfect.

During their service carrers, these guns were not treated gently, but I have seen more than one example where the finish was mostly gone but there was almost no handling "rash". These were used, but not abused, in other words. It's as though someone made an effort to take care of the gun, all those years ago.

It's a real plus when the barrel nut has never been loosened and the original crimping is undisturbed on the barrel nut locking ring. This will mean the gun still has its original factory targeting, making it quite accurate. This is never the case with parts or "tube" guns.

Last edited:
tsm - it looks like the base of the safety is smooth, in the white and flat with the inside of the bolt. No crimping is seen. Good information!

rpf - bore looks good. I will see if I can get some more photos of the bore & safety and post them soon.

regards,
pat

Very Nice! I love the mag pouch. Extremely hard to find original and in good condition. Your MP40 has the later variant "fiber fill" barrel bar. Not sure when these started to appear but the earlier MP40's had a solid aluminium barrel bars until this metal got scarce and was diverted to other priorities. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info, LTCar2! I only wish I had its mate and a few more mags. Unfortunately, Colorado thinks these MP40 mags are the work of the devil!:censored:

regards,
pat

Welcome aboard! Where you at in Colorado? I live in the Colo Spgs area.
Mags are not a problem and are legal to buy & sell in Colo. The ban doesn't effect original C&R items.
I have 3 or 4 to sell.
Lots of luck trying to find a matching blue mag pouch. I finaly found the other side I needed, but they are noticeably not a "matching" pr.
Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back