Third Party Press

JGA wehrsportkarbine 4mm w/muzzle cover and award disc in the stock

mauser99

Photos for veiwing pleasure. This is the nicest complete JGA 4mm I've seen in quite some time. Posting for a freind. Went to his house after attending the Boxboro mass.
military show for the first time in years. I picked up a 18/31 double rework wehrmacht helmet for a song. All around a great weekend. This rifle is flat new with an Award disc
roughly translated " Honorary award " the J.G. Anschutz company zella-mellis. Also of note. This stock is made of Elm wood. I have two of these in the same serial range. One is walnut and the other solid Beech. These stocks also seem to have some sort of factory finish on them applied before the sling cutout is done."see pic"
Same as the Mauser dsm's I posted.

Attachments

• Picture 1224.jpg
    Picture 1224.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 1226.jpg
    Picture 1226.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 1227.jpg
    Picture 1227.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 1228.jpg
    Picture 1228.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 1230.jpg
    Picture 1230.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 1231.jpg
    Picture 1231.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 1225.jpg
    Picture 1225.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
These stocks also seem to have some sort of factory finish on them applied before the sling cutout is done."see pic"
Same as the Mauser dsm's I posted.

More likely it has the finish but doesn't look the same because that area didn't get polished like the rest of the stock,

or .. if it doesn't have a finish in the cutout, it was still applied after the stock was completed. Most late K98 stocks look like this in the sling cutout area....

finish

no, the edge is too raw and no signs of spill over. Look at my thread of "mini mausers in elm" and you see the same thing. THe edges are to crisp to be the later...

Wayne, thanks for posting. This one of the nicest JGA's I've seen in a long time, and I have a real weakness for any presentation trainer. :thumbsup:

Denny

Wayne, thanks for posting. This one of the nicest JGA's I've seen in a long time, and I have a real weakness for any presentation trainer. :thumbsup:

Thanks Denny, Yes it was quite a surprized to find another trainer collector so close to me. At least in the same state. I had to photo this one. I have 2 identical. Glad to see you here and are posting. Denny is another long time trainer collector who has seen and had more unique items than most will ever see.

The presentation disc is odd as it's just an "honarary award" not presented to some one in perticular. Most i've seen were shooting prizes to individuals.

Thanks Denny, Yes it was quite a surprized to find another trainer collector so close to me. At least in the same state. I had to photo this one. I have 2 identical. Glad to see you here and are posting. Denny is another long time trainer collector who has seen and had more unique items than most will ever see.

The presentation disc is odd as it's just an "honarary award" not presented to some one in perticular. Most i've seen were shooting prizes to individuals.

Thanks for the kind words Wayne.
I may be wrong but I think the correct translation for "Ehrengabe" would be "Honor Award" rather than "Honorary Award". In this context, it would probably be more appropriate.
To me, it appears this plaque was made up before the event in which it was awarded and never meant to have the winner's name as part of the inscription. This would be especially convenient if more than one rifle was awarded. Just a WAG on my part.
A good example of this would be the BSW KKW's that were awarded for SA Gruppe Kurpfalz-Wettkampftage 1939. A few of these have surfaced within a rather tight serial range to support this supposition.

Attachments

• BSW Kurpfalz (Medium).jpg
    BSW Kurpfalz (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1611 (Medium).JPG
    100_1611 (Medium).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 33
I agree with you Denny. I have read period newspaper reports of SA shooting contests at which several awards were presented, each from a different arms makers. So each would prep his with a suitable inscription like the JGA.

jga

That was what "google translator" spit out when I entered the word..Makes sense to me. I was just expressing what I've seen. I'm sure there are others who have seen much more. But, having the awards ready for the event seems more plausable.

That was what "google translator" spit out when I entered the word..Makes sense to me. I was just expressing what I've seen. I'm sure there are others who have seen much more. But, having the awards ready for the event seems more plausable.

Hi Wayne,
Please don't think I was criticising you. My German is no better than yours; I just happened to know that particular word. Next time you can correct me :laugh:

Military Rifle Journal
Back