Third Party Press

1871 grove diamater

solman

OK one for the experts...what is the grove diameter for a single shot '71 maus? its not 446.
what tricks do you use bullet wise to get it to shoot?
thanks
Solman

Kar

Blackpowder and paper patch bullets

OK I have the same problem. Mine is a KAR71 and kicks like a mule with full power loads. I would like to find a lite load to shoot in it. Everything I've tryed shoots all over the place. I've even tryed .451 pistol bullets. What I would like is something that would shoot a fair group with Trail Boss powder and a 200 plus gr. bullet. Bill

here's a pic of a couple .43 Ive made up. the left is a paper patched to 446 backed by 4198.
no go. bullet is to hard, and remember smokeless is a progressive burn. wont deform the bullet enough.
the other is a .451 300gr pistol bullet. wont chamber.
tough. Ive loaded for trapdoors and some old levers but this is tough.
im getting a land to land of .434, grove is over the 451 slug i ran thru.
mine wont chamber a bullet much over .446.
OK with smokeless you need a bullet that is min. grove diameter. id say in the early '71's is made deep (451+) to 'hold fouling'.. they had an issue then with accuracy.
the twist is real shallow. like 1/21 or some such. short bullets wont work well IMHO. ive tried some track of the wolf 'mine' bullets but not long enough.
uboat534's method works. OK issues. you ll need DEAD SOFT lead bullets. progressive patched rear to front, and as much BP as you can cram into the new thicker brass. im not going there yet. Some folks with trim up to 1/4 off the top of the brass to get the paper patched bullet to chamber. each rifle is different.
i had an issue with getting even the standard BP load into the new brass. Ive had this issue with other BP cartridge rifles. the modern brass is way thicker than the old stuff.
there's a company , 'mountain molds' that will make a mold to suit. im not sure what i want yet, and ive got some other projects in the works. im pretty sure it'll be a 'minie' type, to keep the length.
not sure of the shape yet.
its one of the harder rifles Ive owned to get working. as with all my rifles i try something then think on it. LOL.
i think midway has a paper patch template. but again Ive tried it with smokeless and it ain't working.
ill get it going. im going to shoot up the rest of these bullets at gong targets and start fresh. LOL.
Try some 4198 say 30 grains and work up. real powder puff loads. i used the .446 bullet.
DISCLAMER this post is my OPINION, and i take no responsibility for anyone's home loading of weapons. the 1871 Mauser has NO gas check and a split case can result in a dangerous condition.
use this information AT YOU OWN RISK.

Attachments

• 43 001.jpg
    43 001.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Are you guys using precast bullets? Sometimes those are to hard and dont have the right lube. You need lube on these bad boys SPG is a good one. I know BP is messy but its what there designed for. My 1884 trapdoor wouldnd shott for a damn w smokeless. I loaded it to BP specs musket lead bullets a wad and a mag primer w lots of lube and she shoots as straight as she did when she rolled off the line. Chris

Good info, keep us informed of your progress. I read somewhere that the carbines shot liter loads. I don't remember where and never did find what it shot. That may not have been correct. You can read about anything if you look enough. Bill

Military Rifle Journal
Back