Third Party Press

Soldbuch IR19

Peter U

Staff member
Hello,

In the final weeks of this year I was able to obtain three unspectacular but rather interesting Soldbucher, this is #1:

Before the war Wilhelm Söldner (°1917) was a farmhand from Jederschwing, according to his Soldbuch he was on August 2 1939 a corporal in the 11th company of IR19 (7ID).
One of the earliest Soldbucher in my collection; his unit was at this time in full preparation for the upcoming invasion of Poland.
Four weeks after this ID booklet was issued WW2 had started officially, the 7ID units participated in the Polish campaign as a part of the 14th Army, immediately after the defeat of Poland the 7ID is transferred to the west to counter an allied offensive.
This allied offensive never takes place and the German army takes the initiative again in the spring of 1940, the 7ID now is a part of the 6th Army, their task is to press through the southern tip of the Netherlands, through northern Belgium and to attack the allies where they expect the main body of the German army will attack: in the open plain between Wavre and Namur as a part of the big feint attack. They not only have to make the allies believe they are the main assault wave, they also have to hold up the best allied units, preventing them from making a flanking counter attack on the real main body of the German army that is manoeuvring through the Ardennes.
The German army generals know it is a difficult task and they assign combat experienced divisions to the 6th Army.
In the first days of the offensive IR19 is kept in reserve but when they make contact with the main body of the French 1st Army on the Dyle river line on May 14 1940, IR19 is called up to the front, the next day they will relieve the recon unit and make a full infantry assault on the French soldiers that dug themselves in and around the village of Limal.
Their counterparts in Limal are French North African soldiers from the 2DINA.
According to their unit history, they get a very warm reception from the French artillery.
- "I hate the French artillery" was said by Marshal Ludendorff in 1918, in this period the French army had + 10.500 field artillery pieces and most of them were still available in 1940; and although French field artillery was for the most part still horse drawn it still was a force the German army feared.
Uffz Wilhelm Söldner is one of the many artillery victims of that day, he gets seriously wounded on both of his eyes.
On May 17 1940 he is admitted to the civilian city hospital in Aachen, their the doctor(s) can safe his right eye but his left one is lost; four days later he is transferred to a military hospital.
At the end of July '40 he leaves the hospital and joins an Ersatz unit but his military carrier is over, in January '41 he gets a medical discharge.
He hands in his Soldbuch, gets his Wehrpaß back and leaves the army with a wounded badge in silver and an EKII on his chest, most likely very little comfort for the loss of his eye and the facial wounds he sustained.

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• DSC08328.jpg
    DSC08328.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC08329.jpg
    DSC08329.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC08330.jpg
    DSC08330.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC08331.jpg
    DSC08331.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC08332.jpg
    DSC08332.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC08333.jpg
    DSC08333.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC08338.jpg
    DSC08338.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08341.jpg
    DSC08341.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 10
In the back flap of his Soldbuch I found this picture; photos only came in to WH Soldbucher in late '43, early '44, so examples that have been closed before this period don't have a picture attached to the inner cover.
Is it a picture of Wilhelm Söldner? I am not 100% sure but I think it is, I presume it is a double of the picture he handed over when he got his Wehrpaß, these doubles were often kept in the Wehrstammbuch (the personal file) from which this Soldbuch was taken by someone after the war.

Attachments

• DSC08345.jpg
    DSC08345.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC08346.jpg
    DSC08346.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 19
My document collection isn't limited to German Soldbucher, I also collect allied ID booklets but I find that these are way more difficult to obtain then their German counterparts, lately I found two small groupings of French soldiers that fought in May 1940.
One of these groupings is of a sergeant of the 2DINA, the unit that conflicted a lot of casualties to the 7ID in Limal in May 1940,.
So I thought it was a good idea to add this French ID booklet to this Soldbuch thread of a casualty of the fighting in Limal, so we get an idea of who fought in this almost forgotten battle of WW2.

Emile Reveillet (°1914 +1990) from Villemaur sur Vanne started his military service in October 1935 with the 22th Regiment Tirailleurs Algériens, a unit created in WW1 with soldiers from Algeria under command of French officers that had build a very good reputation in the trenches.
His service is exemplary and on July 1 1937 he is promoted to Caporal Chef and at the end of his two years conscript service time he is promoted to reserve sergeant.
On August 27 1939 he is mobilized and on September 1 1939 he rejoins his old unit, the 5th company of 22RTA as a sergeant.
The 22RTA belongs to the 2e Division d'Infanterie Nord-Africaine (2DINA), it is one of the better French units and as a part of the French first army, in case of a German invasion in Belgium, its task is to move in to central Belgium and to halt the German main force advance there.
When indeed the German army violates Belgian neutrality on May 10 1940, the units of the 2DINA move up towards the Dijle defence line in central Belgium.
Alas for the French army, the main German force isn't there but way more south in the Ardennes, the assault in central Belgium is just a feint attack, nevertheless it will come to combat on some parts of this frontline, Limal is an example of this.
The casualty figures of both the French and German army for Limal indicate that fighting was rather fierce.
Emile Reveillet is lucky he survives the fighting unhurt and also escapes spending five years in a POW camp, which was the faith of most French soldiers in 1940; on August 20 1940 he is demobilized from a French army depot under German surveillance in Treignac and returns home.

A "Livret Individuel" doesn't have a picture of the soldier inside but luckely in this set their was a veterans ID card so we have an idea how Emile Reveillet looked.

His good conduct document is signed by Colonel Lacher.

Attachments

• DSC09731.jpg
    DSC09731.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC09732.jpg
    DSC09732.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC09734.jpg
    DSC09734.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC09735.jpg
    DSC09735.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC09736.jpg
    DSC09736.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC09737.jpg
    DSC09737.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC09738.jpg
    DSC09738.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC09740.jpg
    DSC09740.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC09741.jpg
    DSC09741.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC09742.jpg
    DSC09742.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
A picture of the uniform of a sergeant of the "Regiment Tirailleurs Algériens".

Attachments

• ejseoz.jpg
    ejseoz.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
Peter, excellent research, I very much enjoy reading these, thank you for sharing. When time permits, of course, I would enjoy seeing more.

What a great find with the French documents Peter! As always very interesting read, thank you for posting :happy0180:

Good as usual

Great story... we tend to think people were in combat 4 years.. Most have short combat stints and are killed or wounded and put out of action for the duration.

Military Rifle Journal
Back