Third Party Press

MG 34 question: Were bolts stamped with a serial number?

bkavanaugh

I received a call from my uncle today. He is in negotiations to purchase a fully transferable Class III MG 34. The dealer he is working with made the representation to him that the MG 34 is "98% original." I have no idea as to the remaining 2% but the dealer told my uncle that he could not find any serial number stamped on the bolt.

As you might suspect, my uncle called me today and asked "were MG 34 bolts serial numbered to the rest of the machine gun?" Unfortunately, I don't own an MG 34 and I don't have the foggiest clue. Can someone help me out and tell me if MG 34 bolts were serial numbered?

Thanks.

From what I have seen they were electro pencilled to match. I've seen tons of loose bolts numbered.

Mg34

Yes, the bolts were penciled with the full serial & suffix. The bolt number (2,3,4,5) is also noted with a Roman numeral. Bolt number one (also barrel number one) simply has the full serial & suffix. MG 34 barrels are numbered the same way but the numbers are usually stamped matching, not penciled, though penciled barrels are found occasionally . The bolt is for MG 34 number 7710b (number three bolt). The barrels shown is the fifth (5) for MG number 3308. The bolts & barrels were supposedly to be used together. Number two (2) bolt with number two (2) barrel and so on. JH

Attachments

• MG34 bolts barrels 2015 (1).jpg
    MG34 bolts barrels 2015 (1).jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 41
  • MG34 bolts barrels 2015 (2).jpg
    MG34 bolts barrels 2015 (2).jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 36
Thank you all! Just spoke with my uncle. The bolt in the MG 34 that he is looking at has no serial number. Guess the bolt would fall within the "2%" the dealer was talking about.

Military Rifle Journal
Back