Third Party Press

Luftwaffe SD cammo Helmet

bill grist

Staff member
This is the 4th. and last cammo helmet also from a NC Vet.. These four that I have shown are the only cammo helmets that I have ever found, in many, many years of collecting... So my question is where are all the cammo German helmets coming from that you see on sites,and large shows like SOS??????...BILL

Attachments

• 100_1301.jpg
    100_1301.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_1302.jpg
    100_1302.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 33
Great helmet Bill, I have a similar Lw. camo. The answer is that they are fabricated. I was banned from WAF for proclaiming what you have just stated. I started collecting in the mid 80s. I was particularly looking for camos. I did all the big shows, got Manions, Der Gauleiter, got lists, ran ads, etc. Original camos were extremely rare and hard to find. I remember back then that a really nice decal helmet was about $150 and an original camo in combat used shape was maybe $200-250.

Flash forward to the neo-internet experts of the late 90s and there was a camo helmet explosion. This coincided with a huge release of original helmets and liners from Belgian and Dutch civil defense stores, and many of these were the initial basis for fakes. Some of the rubbish I've seen peddled on WAF for $2000 - $3000 (they call them "exotic freshies") are at best painted up fakery, artificially aged, garbage that ruined a previously original, but combat worn, regular helmet.

If one wants to see reality they need look no further than zillions of period combat pics. How many camo painted helmets do you see compared to regular issue lids? Enough said. You've got great helmets Bill! I'd rather have your four than forty WAF "one looker exotic freshies" :facepalm:

Cheers,
Hambone

Bill,

Great helmet. I hear ya and Ham. Camo helmets seem to be popping up more often than years ago? Yours is a fine example.

Mike

The only camo helmets I have are Lw. I had a trop Fj shell/ring but no liner that I redid and used reenacting for 20 yrs. Unfortunately the camo helmet cover I put on it rubbed almost all the tan paint off of it. I didn't know this till I got a repro 10 yrs ago and quit using the orig. When I took the cover off I found I had stripped a nice orig trop repaint.
The other one is this one. Picked it up at a local indoor flea market 20+ years ago for $25.
Here is also a green single decal SS, don't know if it would be considered a camo or not?
Sarge

Attachments

• Lw Trop - L.JPG
    Lw Trop - L.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Lw Trop - R.JPG
    Lw Trop - R.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Grn SS.JPG
    Grn SS.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 11

Military Rifle Journal