Third Party Press

BiGGEST Unknowns??

Bob in OHIO

What are the really BIG question(s) that have been ellusive and you'd really like to know the answer(s) too?

misc stamps

A radom produced K98 receiver have the most Glyph's for lack of a better term than any other k98 type. Kinda like a box of lucky charms X 2... I'd give farbs left nut to know what they mean...:laugh:

Last edited:
bcd/bnz

I'd like to know more about the dual code bcd/bnz k98's. Possibly some pictures. I have one that isn't matching, not an RC. I would like to compare the parts of mine to a matching one, and don't have any 44 made bnz. So, any information would be appreciated, I have Law's and Farbs book.

I'd like to know more about the dual code bcd/bnz k98's. Possibly some pictures. I have one that isn't matching, not an RC. I would like to compare the parts of mine to a matching one, and don't have any 44 made bnz. So, any information would be appreciated, I have Law's and Farbs book.

I can fill you in pretty well on that one. The book describes those as well, but there will be more to come on that subject. For the KM book we didn't dive in too deep on the 44 period.

Want to see a matched one? This is one built using an S/42G receiver, but essentially the same gun. Depending on letter suffix, rifle will exibit the exact same features as a standard bnz rifle of the same letter block:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1408-Neat-bnz4-handstamp-S-42-G

My biggest unknown- what do the different Totenkopf markings signify? Not the obvious ones like SS2, but the odd ones.

why the DUV 42 marked receivers that are used in the BCD42/43 years only, why the MOD98 is NOT lubeck font?? to me then these are NOT LEFT over receivers unless lubeck did there own MOD98 engraving. if this is so the rail would be blank??? then lastly BLM DUV made there own receivers so why would they be marked with the Astrawerke l (L) manufacturing proof/mark. just a mystery i can't figure out why Astrawerke would be making receivers for BLM.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
i really want to know about the steyr hieroglyphs and also a definite answer as to the system of stock dating under the buttplate and in channel.

I'd like to know why I find single rune/contract guns with m/m contract bolts??

Has anyone else found the same?

Not necessarily unknowns but.........

If we are talking about what we would like to see in KM Vol 2 or 1 for my part - presentation of Armorer's parts and stocks distinguishing markings. To my experience there is nearly a limitless pletora of them and they often go un-noted.

Jim,

We are going to cover reworks in Vol.2, 1939-1944. I was just talking to someone today about this very subject. I've got a good friend who has a large collection of armorers parts, I've got some, and know others with them. That, along with a few larger collections with many reworks and such. Should be an interesting chapter, but I think it would never be complete- as you say, it seems the possibilities are endless! I have an Elm E/280 proofed armorers stock (thanks to Vulch)-- that is odd....

I can fill you in pretty well on that one. The book describes those as well, but there will be more to come on that subject. For the KM book we didn't dive in too deep on the 44 period.

Want to see a matched one? This is one built using an S/42G receiver, but essentially the same gun. Depending on letter suffix, rifle will exibit the exact same features as a standard bnz rifle of the same letter block:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1408-Neat-bnz4-handstamp-S-42-G

mrfarb, thank you for the information. I believe I talked to you awhile back about the gun. I just purchased a bnz stock for it and will post a few pictures when it is finished. It started out as a bring back sporter that was restore to a bcd configuration which wasn't correct by the previous owner. I hope to bring it back since the dual bcd/bnz is a rare code.

Jim,

I have an Elm E/280 proofed armorers stock (thanks to Vulch)-- that is odd....

I knew I should have extracted a premium for my find-a-rare-stock service.

Amazing condition for an RC stock... narry a mark on it, shellac came off easier than rubbing your nose, and perfect stampings. Just that darned RC serial on the left butt cheek....

Now about those friends with armourer spares... I could REALLY do with an un-serialled upper H band :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back