Third Party Press

Mod 625/ 625 B (4 Rifles)

Bob in OHIO

Here are 4 rifles, and no two are the same.

Here's what I see as unique to the Simson Mod. W 625:
  • Rear sight graduated 30 to 200 (others are 25 - 200)
  • Front Band has hooked, and TG had hole drilled
  • Front sight cut for a hood
Here's what I see as differences otherwise.

Abbreviation:
  • Fuller = stock fuller
  • FB and RB = Front and Rear band
  • STG and LTG = Short (small) and Long Trigger Guard
  • 30/200 and 25/200 = graduations on the rear sight
The Four Rifles:
114xxx, Mod. W625, Simson, fuller=yes; FB hooked, FB screwed, RB screwed, 30/200, STG
152xxx, Mod W625 B, bSw, fuller=yes; FB no hook, FB screwed, RB pinned, 25/200, STG
157xxx, Mod W625 B, bSw, fuller=no; FB no hook, FB pinned, RB pinned, 25/200, STG
160xxx, Mod W625 B, bSw, fuller=no; FB no hook, FB pinned, RB pinned, 25/200, LTG

Note: When 4 rifles are shown...
They are in order by SN top to bottom OR Right to left​

Attachments

• mod625.0A.jpg
    mod625.0A.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 113
  • mod625.09.jpg
    mod625.09.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 81
  • mod625.0B.jpg
    mod625.0B.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 90
  • mod625.10.jpg
    mod625.10.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 86
  • mod625.00.jpg
    mod625.00.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 85
  • mod625.06.jpg
    mod625.06.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 67
  • mod625.01.jpg
    mod625.01.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 75
  • mod625.02.jpg
    mod625.02.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 118
All are property marked except the Simpson

Attachments

• mod625.03.jpg
    mod625.03.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 49
  • mod625.04.jpg
    mod625.04.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 63
  • mod625.05.jpg
    mod625.05.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 44
I have 1 Simson 625...

It has a property number on the grip - 172 - stamped in. Also a cog with a K behind the grip - stock maker's mark?

It's serial is 118427 and it is ALMOST the same as your first rifle Bob. It does NOT have a hooked upper band though, and has the screw swivel retained rear band. Cut for the DSM sling with slotted stud. Duffle cut (repaired). Rear sight is the winged type with the Kar98A/G33/40 type slider - though REVERSED to what Bob's is - mine has the slots for the worm cut on the RIGHT side of the leaf, and the push button is on the LEFT of the slide.. Front sight cut for a hood, though missing.

Triggerguard milled, with hole for QD sling bracket in front. Stock is early type with grasping grooves, but cut for the DSM sling as already mentioned.

The receiver markings are simply Mod. W625 with the typical Simson Circle-Triangle-S combo marking. Barrel is Fluss-Stahl Krupp-Essen, BU proofs and 5.4mm

VERY high polish to the metal throughout and an IMPECCIBLE rust blue.

SO:

118427, Mod. W625, Simson, fuller=yes; FB NOT hooked, FB screwed, RB screwed, 30/200, STG

Idiot Bubba decided to cut some panels and stipple the grip.... just working out a strategy now to remove them and refinish the stock... unless someone somewhere has a spare stock. The rifle is otherwise pristine. A crying shame!!!!

Last edited:
Seems you and I are the only lovers of W625's Bob :laugh:

Good news for me - after a lot of conscientious work with a fine wood rasp and some (GULP) sandpaper, I have erased the idiot stipple panels. SLIGHTLY thinner grip, but not noticeable at all. Refinishing the stock right now - shame I had to, but I was NOT leaving that stippling on there.

Interesting thing I noted was that Simson's origin al finish on these is water soluble. I had to raise grain using hot water before using one of the wood tricks I know that matches grain colours and finish (LONG story), and that hot water took the finish right off in no time - I wasn't even trying. Cold water did nothing, but hot... it turned milky and washed off. Makes me think it is perhaps almost a thin French Polish / Shellac, as it did not exhibit any qualities of oil. Hmmmmmm. And the wood was NOT stained either - same colour inside and out, and the finish WAS in the barrel channel too.

Also managed to do a superb duffle cut repair with a dowel below the band screw, as well as inlaying a dumbell shapped bit of walnut into the barrel channel joing the 2 halves and glued in. Then sanded back to the barrel contour. Strong as an ox.

Now to just decide the best way to refinish the stock

I'll just continue talking to myself :laugh:

Noticed something odd when I was oiling the stock today - noticed a hole INSIDE the sling cut. Being the curious type, and knowing it could NOT get there except via the butt, I took off the buttplate, and lo and behold, there's a rod of non-magnetic metal in there - just like how competition shooters balance stocks. It is NOT lead, and it is NOT ferrous. Hmmmm.

Bob, please check yours for this. I would NOT put it past Simson to balance a rifle out like this - I imagine the rifle WOULD be muzzle heavy without it - as is, it is precisely balanced.

Or, maybe the guy that stippled the wrist on mine added the weight.... only Bob can tell me :)

Stock Weights

Vulch those weights are factory and common to all I checked.

I have quite a bit of information on the 625's just short of time to do a good job of posting right now. I will come back to this thread when time permits and share what I can.

Very briefly:

All of the Simson/BSW/Gustloff .22 rimfires made were in one serial number range with blocks dedicated to different models but interspersed all the way.

Also those blocks of numbers were not used chronologically as evidenced by factory test targets with rifle serial numbers and dates which Bob Simpson and I examined in close scrutiny. Using time line on known calendar events such as; BSW take over date, Gustloff take over date, Eagle N proof law, and comparing rifles, it is clear that receivers were serialed as made but rifles were not always assembled on them until much later. Also, "the bottom of the bin" theory with later made receivers being put on top of earlier produced receivers is in evidence with some Simson marked receivers bearing serial numbers later than some BSW marked receivers in the W625B range (about 1935). This occurs again during the BSW to Gustloff transition in KKW and W625C and Gustloff 317 production.

That includes all the 625 models, the DSM, the KKW, and many variations of sporters. From beginning to end. This makes the use of serial number extrapolation almost useless in determining numbers produced.

The 625 series was continually evolving based on same action Simson/BSW/Gustloff used on sporting and target .22 models. Many small changes as they went along. There was a W625C using many DSM parts (sights, bands, stock hardware) that was in production right up to KKW production. The Mod 317 series of sporters used same action and some of those are Gustloff marked and Eagle N proofed. Examples noted going to Sweden in export sales as late as 1943. Appears only sporters made on this action to any extent after KKW production began.

There was also a W625Z 4mm.

There was also a "beefed up" version of this split bridge action made in 5.6x35R single shot sporting rifle.

More later, just short of time now.

Great photos by Bob as always and thank you both for the posts and sharing!

Good Collecting!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info Jim. Glad idiot Bubba wasn't responsible for the weight addition, but I didn't ever think it would be - too well done.

Here are some pictures of mine - needs a coat or 2 more oil yet to get it nearer factory standard. Note the wood quality - it has SOME striping in it, but it is a REALLY nice piece of walnut. Handguard is redder, but close.

Note the following:
1. Rear sight graduations and slide OPPOSITE orientation to Bob's early Simson. Note the serrations are also on the OPPOSITE side to Bob's.
2. Rear band - has a side swivel to go with the DSM style butt inletting for the sling. They used an earlier TG with the QD hole in the front though.
3. Front band. Screw retained, but hook deleted
4. Front sight is "sporting" style, and cut for a hood
5. Bolt is VERY high polish. Handle is tarnished, so cannot tell if it was blued or not - don't think so. Safety similarly tarnished, so again it MAY have been blued, though again, hard to tell. Either way, I am leaving them as they are.

Shot this rifle for the first time today. Was astonished at the accuracy - better than my DSM that I had been so rapt with before! Balance is precise, sights are BETTER, and the trigger is something sweet!

Overall, the rifle is in EXCELLENT condition. IF the idiot Bubba had not stippled it (with a checkering style border too!) I would have left it as is and had a handsome trophy (since it was duffle cut). Now, since I have had to restore it - though I think I did an EXCELLENT job - I rank it as a fine example. I don't plan selling it anyway! Cannot complain - the stippling and duffle cut shied away all bidders and I got it for a song by contacting the seller directly ($300)

Attachments

• w625 restored-01.JPG
    w625 restored-01.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 36
  • w625 restored-03.JPG
    w625 restored-03.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 33
  • w625 restored-06.JPG
    w625 restored-06.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
  • w625 restored-09.JPG
    w625 restored-09.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 28
  • w625 restored-12.JPG
    w625 restored-12.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 31
  • w625 restored-13.JPG
    w625 restored-13.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 26
  • w625 restored-15.JPG
    w625 restored-15.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 27
  • w625 restored-17.JPG
    w625 restored-17.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
  • w625 restored-19.JPG
    w625 restored-19.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
  • w625 restored-21.JPG
    w625 restored-21.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A few more, plus some BEFORE shots - trying to emulate that finish now - it'll take time, but I am patient.

You can see how crude the duffle cut WAS (not very straight, and previous restorer used to finishing nails and elmer's glue! I used a 3 inch long dowel, industrial epoxy, flexible industrial super glue (EXPENSIVE!), and a dumbbell shaped walnut insert in the barrel channel (NOT taking it apart to show it, as these bands are TIGHT! You can see idiot marks from a prior owner) It will break somewhere else before the duffle repair :thumbsup:

PS: the ONLY Nazi marking on mine is a Weimar eagle under the bolt handle in the "usual K98 spot"

Attachments

• w625 restored-23.JPG
    w625 restored-23.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 26
  • w625 restored-24.JPG
    w625 restored-24.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 31
  • pix445513046.jpg
    pix445513046.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 31
  • pix445512500.jpg
    pix445512500.jpg