Third Party Press

Are these cleaning kit spoons Original WWII, Military Post war or Newly Made Repro's?

rcmauser

I got these in a couple of cleaning kits from IMA that were described as "original" k98 cleaning kits. These do not look correct to me. I submit these for opinions on originality or not.

I am leaning towards New Production packed in new grease. Am I wrong?

Are these original military grade spoons? I realize IMA does a business in reproductions for movies and reenactors,

NOTE: Funny thing is the Plain Jane unmarked kit ($22) has a better case with G. Appel 1938 marked oiler than the ($44) beat up G.Appel marked case that came with a unmarked cross threaded oiler that looks bad. The $44 "Deluxe" best pick of the lot is going back.

Attachments

• k98_ima_kit_spoon_007a.jpg
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_007a.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
  • k98_ima_kit_spoon_009a.jpg
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_009a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
  • k98_ima_kit_spoon_010.jpg
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_010.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 17
  • k98_ima_kit_spoon_012a.jpg
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_012a.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 25
  • k98_ima_kit_spoon_014a.jpg
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_014a.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 23
  • k98_ima_kit_spoon_015a.JPG
    k98_ima_kit_spoon_015a.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I got these in a couple of cleaning kits from IMA that were described as "original" k98 cleaning kits. These do not look correct to me. I submit these for opinions on originality or not.

I am leaning towards New Production packed in new grease. Am I wrong?

Are these original military grade spoons? I realize IMA does a business in reproductions for movies and reenactors,

NOTE: Funny thing is the Plain Jane unmarked kit ($22) has a better case with G. Appel 1938 marked oiler than the ($44) beat up G.Appel marked case that came with a unmarked cross threaded oiler that looks bad. The $44 "Deluxe" best pick of the lot is going back.

I tend to think that your spoons are original. IMA does sell repro stuff but is generally good about stating when something is newly manufactured. Also, if they had repro spoons they would likely be selling them individually as there is a "need" for this frequently missing item.

I tend to think that your spoons are original. IMA does sell repro stuff but is generally good about stating when something is newly manufactured. Also, if they had repro spoons they would likely be selling them individually as there is a "need" for this frequently missing item.

Thanks for the response. Overall I agree with that statement about IMA and I used that when initially evaluating the spoons. I am not trying to bash IMA. Things can happen when vendors get busy and rushed or new staff get involved. One of the spoons had grouping of 5 new looking staples attached to the gooey grease...

I am trying to use "buy the spoon not the story" philosophy to evaluate these. The shape of the spoon is one I have not seen on any of the original spoons I currently have or pictures I have seen posted and/or results of searches. My post war versions of the spoons do not follow this style pattern.

Can anyone provide any insight into the date or manufacturer based on the unique shape of these spoons?

Is there a book or a link to a web sight that has detailed the kits and various styles of the spoons?

Last edited:
I have a few of those type of spoons in original cleaning kits. I think they are some type of pre-war type. They could also be some type made by Portugal for cleaning kits supplied by the Germans that they used.

I have a few of those type of spoons in original cleaning kits. I think they are some type of pre-war type. They could also be some type made by Portugal for cleaning kits supplied by the Germans that they used.

Foreign (outside of Germany or its Occupied WWII territory) production is something I did not consider. Portugal remained neutral during WWII. So if that was the source, would it be a safe conclusion that the spoons were Not made for the Wehrmacht? But for pre-war delivered contract k98's?

Interesting to ponder. Thanks for the insight. Still looking.

Mr. Farb...If you get a chance, could you please post some pictures of your mentioned spoons. I am interested in up close pictures of the rivet and the angle of the flat area used for removing the floor plate. The ones I got appear new and never used.

I think that they are original, but perhaps post war. IMA has several of the RG kits and accessories for sale. They have some WWII marked kit and some pre-war kits that are unmarked and have brass hinges.

IMA is generally honest about listing an item as original/repro, but they are creative in their descriptions of items from time to time.

Military Rifle Journal
Back