Third Party Press

S28 KAR b file

toulon44

here is a complete pics file , this rifle has been partially discussed , i think that it's a good one except the bolt who is a dot 98K , please comment , all advises 'll be welcome .
thanks

DSC025701.JPGDSC025711.JPGDSC025721.JPGDSC025731.jpgDSC025741.JPGDSC025751.jpgDSC025761.jpgDSC025771.jpgDSC025781.jpgDSC025791.JPG

Yes, I think it is authentic, but so few are known original-matching, one can never be too sure... it does have everything I would expect though, the metal is obviously right, there are enough metal matching rifles to establish patterns, and yours fit. The stocks are far more difficult, very few original rifles with stocks exist, very few, perhaps 3-4, maybe a bakers dozen if you are generous with the possibilities.. many rifles are poorly imaged or documented, perhaps 5-6 show stocks that might be original to one degree or another.

Actually, i did have this one recorded, scantily on the stock, this helps quite a bit in that regard, - some time ago i mentioned the different right side acceptance patterns, that it was unclear if they all had the same pattern or whether some were replaced later, but period matching. Yours suggest that several possibilities (rifles) are actually good, this RS pattern is seen on a couple others, but otherwise not documented well. Apparently there are at least two right buttstock patterns known, perhaps more, I would have to check to see how many, but so few are known i haven't bothered with a spreadsheet on S28 stocks.

Yours might be the finest S28 Kar.98b in Europe (but European collectors are notoriously secretive about their rifles, no telling what is actually in collectors hands..), most known are in the US, and the vast majority are very mismatched. Before the Albanian imports they were exceedingly rare, most can be traced back to the 1990's imports.

Yes, I think it is authentic, but so few are known original-matching, one can never be too sure... it does have everything I would expect though, the metal is obviously right, there are enough metal matching rifles to establish patterns, and yours fit. The stocks are far more difficult, very few original rifles with stocks exist, very few, perhaps 3-4, maybe a bakers dozen if you are generous with the possibilities.. many rifles are poorly imaged or documented, perhaps 5-6 show stocks that might be original to one degree or another.

Actually, i did have this one recorded, scantily on the stock, this helps quite a bit in that regard, - some time ago i mentioned the different right side acceptance patterns, that it was unclear if they all had the same pattern or whether some were replaced later, but period matching. Yours suggest that several possibilities (rifles) are actually good, this RS pattern is seen on a couple others, but otherwise not documented well. Apparently there are at least two right buttstock patterns known, perhaps more, I would have to check to see how many, but so few are known i haven't bothered with a spreadsheet on S28 stocks.

Yours might be the finest S28 Kar.98b in Europe (but European collectors are notoriously secretive about their rifles, no telling what is actually in collectors hands..), most known are in the US, and the vast majority are very mismatched. Before the Albanian imports they were exceedingly rare, most can be traced back to the 1990's imports.

thanks for your comment i've seen an other on a french site S/N 182a but sadly deactivated have you it in your file ?

182 a has been on Gunboards, maybe here also, not a bad rifle for research, it had the earlier type stock. Naturally de-militarized reduces its value, especially the way the Europeans do it.

Naturally de-militarized reduces its value, especially the way the Europeans do it.[/QUOTE]

total agree

Military Rifle Journal
Back