Third Party Press

1916 Simson &. Co. Gew98 'finished' pics

plymouthmauser

Some after pictures. The cocking piece is still frozen to the firing pin after 14 hours in CLP. Not sure what to do here. The bolt functions properly, and the headspace is OK; I just can't strip it. I can leave it as, but probably can't shoot 50's Yugo out of it. I managed to remove the stump of the front capture screw and replaced it. I also replaced one the rear swivel mount screws (flat head) with a correct one. One broken part; only half of he ejector box screw came out.

Bore was the easiest to clean; a couple of passes with a brass brush and less than 20 patches - very good plus.

All parts match (1246e) except: handguard (pencil 1324), bolt body, trigger, sear (all 53), cocking piece (27), follower (75), floorplate (26), and trigger guard (7481). All parts are imperial proofed.

I stripped the walnut stock of varnish; it turns out the stock was sanded, but lightly. The two coats of cut Tung oil didn't really penetrate, and were topped with a coat of wax.

I have on order into Numrich for an ejector box screw and an Imperial rear swivel mount. I have an order into Liberty Tree for one of their nice repro slings, cleaning rod, and brass muzzle cover. I'll put together some finished pics when all the parts arrive.

What would be an insurance value on this piece; $800?

PM

020-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Maybe try some Kroil (Aerokroil) on the cocking piece that won't rotate? Kroil is my "go to" rust buster. Good luck.

Military Rifle Journal
Back