Third Party Press

Scope advice needed

JohnB593

I would like to put a after market scope on one of my Mausers. I have a couple of K98's and a couple of M48's. I may be wrong but I don't think a scope mount for the K98 would fit a M48. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a bit torn between putting a scope on one of my German K98's or on one of the M48's (all matching numbers by the way). I looked on Amazon at some scopes and it looks like Numrich makes some nice ones but their website seems to be gone. SO, if some of you guys wouldn't mind enlightening me on which scope(s) and mounts to consider I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!!!!

I have a LER scope on my M48with a scout mount, this replaces the rear sight. It works great and you don't alter the rifle at all. If you want a true sniper mount, that involves money, a qualified gunsmith, permanently altering the rifle, and ruining any collector value. I have done that to a RC BNZ 41, new barrel, re-blued, etc. It is a true LSR sniper rifle and is deadly at 400+yards, but the rifle was crap to start with and so I had no concerns about collector value. It was not cheap, but it totally looks the part and performs well. The scope mount on the M48 is good for like 150-200 yards, but hey for like $150 you have a scoped Mauser. Below is the set up for the M48.....

M48SCOPED.jpg

Looks good

That might just be the way for me to go as I really don't want to do a involved modification. Where did you get your scope and mount?

It's an S&K mount and an inexpensive LER scope from Amazon, its four power - 4x32 I think. This is a close up of the setup - not my rifle however...

48yugoscoutsk.jpg

Interesting

That looks good! I'm considering one of the Leatherwood scopes but we'll see. I want to be sure to get a well made scope and mount and not something "toy like".

The S&K mount is the best of the bunch out there, and I unfortunately tried them all! It is a nice chunk of steel and fits very snug. I will say you need to get the lowest rings you can find. I could not get the elevation low enough with most rings. So get a set that sits as close to the mount as possible. But the mount is great, once zeroed, it will hold it indefinitely.

Military Rifle Journal
Back