Third Party Press

Strange German (MG?) bipod - field made?

ZF41 K98k

Hello guys,

I'm a bit perplexed as to what this actually is? At first glance I thought it was a PTRD bipod but it has some slight differences, and then I found out it was found in France.... so unless it was a captured one, it can't really be one of those. The legs themselves look like that of the MG34/42 bipod, but the locking mechanism it totally the wrong shape.

To me it could also be for a rifle, maybe it was a field made waffenmeister bipod for a K98k sniper to use as a rest? Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I have a simular bipod but the mounting bracket is round, I believe these bipods were used on the German anti-tank rifle, PzB 39 (Panzerbüchse 39). I believe yours might have been for the PzB 38. I am just guessing from looking at WWII photographs of the ones that look like mine. Mind came out of Poland. Harry

I have a simular bipod but the mounting bracket is round, I believe these bipods were used on the German anti-tank rifle, PzB 39 (Panzerbüchse 39). I believe yours might have been for the PzB 38. I am just guessing from looking at WWII photographs of the ones that look like mine. Mind came out of Poland. Harry

Hello Harry, thank you for your comment. May I ask if you have any pictures of your bipod for comparison? Do you know of any period wartime pictures that show bipods similar to yours or mine that exist? I would very much like to see those if so, that'd be great. Interesting to know where yours came from also! Cheers, Pat

Yes you're right, they use the 34 latch lugs. BUT this looks to be a field (i.e waffenmeister) made, the key question with this one is, what weapon fits into that upper 'clasp'?? :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back