Third Party Press

1916 Gew98 Simson & Co.'s first range trip

plymouthmauser

Well, I finally got to the range today. It was such a beautiful day I could resist; brilliant sunshine and 42 degrees with no wind. I have been itching to try my newest Gew98, but we've had 50+ inches of snow since mid December here in MA.

The range was not in the best of shape. We had a thunder storm last night with a lot of rain, and the remaining foot or snow was in rough shape - real ankle twisting stuff. It was hard work going down and back the 100 yards to the target. There had already been one path treaded through the snow, but it really made matters worse.

I switched in my new 22 pound Wolff spring and shot 35 rounds of '55 and '56 Yugo surplus with no issues. Standard conditions for me; 100 yards, seated, no rest. The first problem was where to put the original 400m Lange sight on the target. After about 10 rounds, I settled at 5 o'clock low in the middle of the black portion, with the rounds hitting mostly at 11 o'clock high. I got better as I went on, noticing that as with most of my rifles, I shoot a little left. Probably as a result of being left handed.

Not too bad for the first time.

004-5.jpg

PM

Military Rifle Journal
Back